Optimum length for CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaustin

Reaction score
So I've searched through a whole bunch of past threads about CFC's trying to determine what the optimum length for one is. I've seen people say 25' with partial flow (to decrease the amount of cooling).

Here's the deal, I ordered a venture and have decided to turn my immersion chiller into a CFC. My immersion chiller is ~40' of 3/8" copper tubing, which is obviously overkill for CFC length, so would 20' do a sufficient job or is 25' better? My hose water gets pretty cold (Seattle).

My line of thinking here is that if 20' is best, I can make one for me and one for my friend as well from the immersion chiller that I already have.

Thanks!

My 20' chiller works wonders, but you will actually need a bit more than 20 foot to make the chiller, for the ins/outs. Be carefull re-bending the copper too. It gets hard after you shape it a few times. I say make two 19' chillers, they will work great. There is a really good Page in the DIY on how to make a CFC.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back