Optimizing Brew Schedule and Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPLS_Brewing

Reaction score
My current brewing process is once a month, making a 5-gallon batch. I lean towards dry-hopped beer with fruit and sour flavors.
  • One thought to start the thread is to take the primary batch and splitting into 5 1-gallon secondary experiments.
I view each brew as an experiment, therefore, maximizing the number of beer outcomes in the same time period and initial primary fermentation volume is ideal.

How do you maximize creativity and variety in your batches? I'm also curious about doing secondary fermentation additives, such as natural fruit flavor or dry-hopping. Any input would be appreciated.

A preemptive thanks!

Last edited:
I've done a number of split batches. Sometimes as simple as using very different yeasts, like American Ale vs Belgian or Lager. I've also added candy sugar to make a stronger Belgian. Recently I used different yeasts and different hops; one mash, two boils. Now I'm thinking of starting a mash with pilsner and rye malts. Drain half and boil with noble hops, while adding some crystal to the mash. The second boil would use C hops and ale yeast. I think that in the past I've split batches by adding fruit to part.

Back