opinions wanted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose1873

Reaction score
i have only made a handful of stouts (mostly a pale ale guy...) but am making one now. I'm a little limited in hop varietys and was wondering what you all think...

Mashing now:

12# 2 row
1 # roasted barley
.5 # crystal 20
.5 # caramunich
1# flaked oats

mash at 151 for 60min

pitching on a 1056 cake

hops that I have available...

1 oz hallertau
unlimited magnum, cascades, tett's, (atleast 4 ounces of each)

I was thinking:

1 oz magnum (10%aa) @ 60min
1 oz tett (3.2) and halertau (4.2) @ 15min

thoughts?

thanks in advance.....:mug:

I like to take the opportunity to add all those darker roasted malts like coffee, crystal 80 and 120 and chocolate to mine. I'm usually doing a 10 gal batch so it's easier not to overdo it by adding to many character malts. It looks like yours is a 5 gal batch. I'd probably use .5# of roasted barley and .5# some other dark malt just to give it a little more character.

I like to take the opportunity to add all those darker roasted malts like coffee, crystal 80 and 120 and chocolate to mine. I'm usually doing a 10 gal batch so it's easier not to overdo it by adding to many character malts. It looks like yours is a 5 gal batch. I'd probably use .5# of roasted barley and .5# some other dark malt just to give it a little more character.

This is solid advice. I would also replace the crystal 20 with chocolate or pale chocolate malt.

i used up what i had and made it as i had it above. thanks for the advice though! my last stout has chocolate, coffee, cocoa powder, and 3 lb of oatmeal and was excellent. this was more of a "left overs" stout.

thanks again :mug: cheers!

Back