Opinions on Grain Mills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I have a corona mill....hate it...it blows. Tried to use a drill with it, and it's made from such cheap steal it cracked the crank shaft.

So what's the best grain mill that can be used with a hand drill without the shaft exploding with adjustable rollers for the best price?

I have a Barley Crusher mill and love it. I use my DeWalt 18V cordless drill with it all the time. I've never actually used the hand crank with it.

For your choice, I would look at those from Barley Crusher, Monster Mill, Crand N Stein and the rest to see which has the features at a price you can handle. When I was researching my purchase I wanted to get the most for the money. The BC comes with a hopper and base to sit on the bucket. With most of the others, you need to build one or both of those items. Personally, I don't have the tools to do that (living in an apartment). So the BC made a lot of sense. Plus, Rebel Brewer had them in stock. Not needing to wait for them to ship from the manufacturer was of value to me.

Also pleased with our Barley Crusher. It's probably seen 1,000 pounds of grain and no problems yet. We use an 18V Dewalt drill but always on low speed.

Monster mill all the way. Though, I havn't used any other.

100_0668.JPG

100_0667.JPG

:ban::rockin::mug:

Very happy with my monster mill as well. Probably only a couple hundred lbs through it so far though.

I have a Barley Crusher, when I first got it I sent it out to get the whole thing cryo-treated, I figure this should help reduce dulling of the knurling. so far I have run several hundred pounds through it, it still works like new.

There are many other mills out there, I like the Monster mill as well, but the BC was less money, so I went with that option.

I also have a barley crusher that I just purchased a couple months ago. I'm happy with my decision, especially for the price.

What is cryo treating?

It is the slow dropping of the temperature inside a chamber bringing the parts to -300°F where it stays for a couple days, then it is slowly brought up to ambient temp, this greatly increases the strength of the material, reducing wear, improving thermal stability etc.

I have shaved with a cryo treated razor that never went dull for several months.

I get a lot of parts for race motors treated, I find it gives me a cooler running motor, and the parts can hold up to a bit more abuse than non treated componants.

More info can be found here.

I have a barley crusher that I have put a few hundred pounds through and have had no bad experiences at all. It seems to be a pretty solid performer.

I have a monster mill 2.0 with their hopper & base & love it. However, just about everyone loves whatever model they get. I did modify mine a little; I replaced the thumb screws with stainless hex heads-the thumb screws never felt tight enough. If I did it again. I'd still get the monster, with a close second to Crankandstein. A buddy of mine got the barley crusher, loves the crush, hates the hopper.

-d

I bought a malt mill with the gear drive option and it works awesome. Only being adjustable on the one end bothers some people but on the stock setting I'm getting about 80-85% efficiency consistently. I bought the gear drive option only because I'm going to be motorizing it and I do like that both rollers rotate and pull the grain through. Also, it is built very well and I think this will last me a while which is important.

I have a corona-style mill and love it. I know you said you hate it, but I'm just curious what the deal is with yours. Mine is made out of iron, not steel. I pieced together a ghetto rid for it like Revvy's, and I use a drill. I get 80%+ eff.

I have a corona-style mill and love it. I know you said you hate it, but I'm just curious what the deal is with yours. Mine is made out of iron, not steel. I pieced together a ghetto rid for it like Revvy's, and I use a drill. I get 80%+ eff.

Got a pic?

I have 3 Monster mills. 1 Barley Crusher. Stopped using the BC after I first used the Monster Mill. I left one MM out in the elements when I deployed and it got a little rusty. So while I was rehabbing that one I got another one and motorized it. Left it behind when I came over here thinking I wouldn't brew that much in the land of beer. Couldn't get many stouts over here, so I bought another mill. I went with what I knew was an awesome device. Now when I get back, it just means I can do barrel batches knowing I have three GOOD mills to crush all that grain. Of course the motorizing will make it effortless anyway. If I had access to my stuff back in the States I would send the BC to you.

Anyone got a link to a full setup on the monster mill? Also...any opinions on the 3 roller vs the 2 roller?

Only issue I have with the monster mills is their price. Not to say I wouldn't buy one if I had the funds available to do so. I do like their roller options, just YIKES (on the price)...

When I was looking to get my mill, most of the other makes/models were X weeks out. I needed one within about a week (or so)... I got the BC from Rebel with time to spare. :rockin:

I do plan on using it until it no longer does a solid job. Then, who knows what I'll get. I hope to be brewing on a larger scale by then, so I'll have different needs.

Back