Opinion/Advice/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....I'm planning on brewing the below beer.

I'd appreciate any opinions and/or advice. I'm adding the Cascade at flameout in order to obtain a nice(big) hop aroma. Do you think this will accomplish that? Thanks for your input...Evan

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 90.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 3 38.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 4 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 5 -

Hi Evan,

That looks like a very good beer! Simcoe and Cascade are a popular combination of hops, although you won't notice too much of simcoe at 40 mins. You could add less of it at 60 for bittering (to get to your 38 base IBUs) and save some for later in the boil so you'll have some flavor/aroma also.

My personal preference is to dry hop rather than add at flameout since I found the aroma to be more pronounced and fresh-looking. That's just me though, but if you're really looking for a BIG aroma, I found dry hopping the way to go.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll give it a try. I've never dry-hopped before so that will be a 1st...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's quite easy to do, I just dump the hops in without sanitizing or anything. After some time they tend to go down with the trub, or if there's still remaining you can rack the beer under. Interestingly the hop particles on the surface tends to stick to the side of the carboy/bucket, which also help. If you're afraid of picking up some at bottling you can also use a small hop bag to filter the racking cane.

Back