Operation: Find the Shittiest Deal on MyBeerCellar.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I estimate that a nice 10^14% annual inflation rate will be necessary to make that bottle worth purchasing in a month.

20081202_zimbabwe_inflation_rate_3jpg.jpg

Wine is a slightly different ballpark, as there are certain styles you're just not going to touch at lower end prices. There is almost no style of beer you can't easily have for under $30.

I'm not trying to come up with a grand manifesto on reasonable alcohol costs here, but given how few bottles of beer out there even retail at the $30 level, $100 for a bottle of just about any beer is absurd.
Can I like that JohnGalt liked this?

It's funny to us but we might not be the people these sites are marketed towards.

I mean ****, if you're filthy rich, and too busy being rich to chase trucks or send boxes to random internet weirdos, most of these are pretty reasonable.

It's funny to us but we might not be the people these sites are marketed towards.

I mean ****, if you're filthy rich, and too busy being rich to chase trucks or send boxes to random internet weirdos, most of these are pretty reasonable.
Well, they're not reasonable, it's just that a certain point the marginal value of money is low enough that you can spend it frivolously. I think the buyers on these sites know that they're overpaying, it just doesn't matter to them.

Well, they're not reasonable, it's just that a certain point the marginal value of money is low enough that you can spend it frivolously. I think the buyers on these sites know that they're overpaying, it just doesn't matter to them.
Same difference. Rich people over pay for **** all the time. To them, paying 100 bucks for the convenience of having a Black Tuesday shipped to their door on a whim instead of going through the hassle to pay 30 is like a normal person paying 5 bucks for a box of Cheerios at a convenience store. You would rather pay 3 bucks at a supermarket, but it's reasonable to pay more for the convenience of having Cheerios when you want them.

At this point I am convinced MBC is just full of trolls casting lines in the water, searching for retards.

Some of the stuff I see on there isn't TOO obnoxious, but the majority just seems to be clear attempts at taking advantage of the mentally challenged.

Sad, really.

tumblr_mhpx5vtJA61rweysao1_500.gif

You guize! Ur Dream Dark Lord and Goose Island collection!

http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=8778

Ouch. These beers sold individually could probably fetch $4k with MBC prices the way they are now - $200 for Rares, $150 for Vanillas, $60 for '09 Dark Lords. $3500 would be a reasonable price to pay for a bulk purchase 3 1/2 cases of vintage dark lord and some BCBS vurrients.

So mybeercellar.com is one of those comedy sites, like collegehumor.com, right?

Jokes are a bit one-note though. It's always people asking crazy money for semi-rare or non-rare beers. Is this a US thing us Euros don't understand?

Jokes are a bit one-note though. It's always people asking crazy money for semi-rare or non-rare beers. Is this a US thing us Euros don't understand?

Not many people are buyers at those prices. Most of us laugh at it just like you.

Tha ****?

"Description
Empty bottle. Properly cellared since I purchased it, a truly great beer.

Sealed
Yes"

So is it empty or sealed? o_O
It's sealed, but being "empty" is how people "get around" one of the websites rules. Bottles must be older than 12 months. Cherry Rye came out at the end of November I believe.

Is this what you Europeans call "irony"?

Back