Opening keg after pressurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyk2104

Reaction score
Okay, so bare with me here because this is my first batch. I just finished kegging my first beer about 6 hours ago. I noticed a lot of sediment. The taste was pretty good.

I saw there is a screen that goes over the dip tube. But my question is, since I am in the process of carbonating it, is it okay to turn off gas and release the pressure and put the screen on the dip tube, granted I resanitize all parts?

Yes. sediment will go away after a while anyhow... when I keg for example dry hopped stuff I notice hops & yeast (for a couple pints) in there for a good 5-6 pints then it starts to go away.

Ya there's really no need to have a screen IMO... You'll be surprised on how much is on the bottom in the end that doesn't get sucked up as well.

I've never used a screened keg dip tube and I dry hop everything but my stouts. If you keep the debris in the fermenter you won't have keg problems...

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick responses and insights. I tried my best while siphoning into the keg, but I know there was a point I did get some crap. First time siphoning anything. But just was wondering if god forbid I did siphon a lot, if this screen would help this batch out a bit. But I am going to give it a little time...

Primary - empty :(
Kegged - First Batch Pale Ale

Time is a wonderful thing wrt beer. It almost always makes things better :)

If you keep the beer at dispensing temperature for a few days it'll likely drop the debris into a compact cake that you'll hollow out with the first pint, leaving clean pours 'til the keg kicks.

The screen might be worthwhile if you're into keg hopping with free swimming cones...

Cheers!

Time is a wonderful thing wrt beer. It almost always makes things better :)

More it sits too on the co2 the better it gets... mine always start tasting really good after 5-6 weeks on it, if it makes it that long.

Back