Opened liquid yeast too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesink

Reaction score
Hi all, brand new to the forums, and to homebrewing....

I have used dry yeast for my first few batches, and then decided to try liquid yeast (British Ale Yeast). Tonight, I read the directions wrong (or misunderstood really) and after smacking the package opened the thing up. Immediately recognizing my mistake, I quick put a chip clip over the package to close it.

Should I toss the stuff in the trash, or actually pitch it? I did this, oh about 45 minutes ago, and wouldn't start brewing for a couple of hours.

Thanks for your advice!

Are you planning to make a starter for it? If so make up your starter and dump it in, you'll be fine.

And if you weren't planning to make a starter, you really should with ALL liquid yeast if your beer's starting gravity is over 1.020, which is about 99% of the beers we make. :D

Are you planning to make a starter for it? If so make up your starter and dump it in, you'll be fine.

And if you weren't planning to make a starter, you really should with ALL liquid yeast if your beer's starting gravity is over 1.020, which is about 99% of the beers we make. :D

Thanks, Revvy. I actually was planning on simply pitching the yeast and not making a yeast starter (only because the single recipe I have calls for dry ME and I didn't buy any today).

Back