Open fermintation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
I got an itch to perform an open fermentation. I'm going to brew on Friday and will post my daily notes. I'm using WLP002, for an ESB. Open top bucket until soon after high krausen. Then transfer to closed carboy.

Any one with experience?

As long as you brew clean and pitch a proper amount of yeast I think you would be ok if you are in a sanitary environment with little to no draft. I used to do this but now drape a bit of saran wrap over my bucket to keep the odd bit of dust, bugs, or dog hair out.

Hmm, I'm doing this in my basement. Would mold be an issue?

Back when I did some brews in a 12 gallon crock we used a cut to size swatch from an old linen tablecloth that had been soaked in a very weak chlorox solution. We would wring it almost dry and use it as a cover, tied with a string. That was 40 years ago and things have certainly changed for the better. Never had a batch go bad but never had anything to write home about either.

Back then we had cellars not basements...LOL. Always set the crock next to where the coal bin was.

bosco

haven't done, but planning on doing it soon with some ringwood and cropping the yeast. kkeep us posted.not claiming to be an expert but i don't think old will be too much of an issue as long as you cover it as soon as the active part of fermentation is over.

I will post each day with notes and pictures. Maybe I'll take pictures as the brew day or uh night unfolds as well. I brew after the kids are in bed.

I think I'll do a big starter to start the yeast off strong. Maybe 2000ml for the 5 gallon batch.

Actually I have a big a$$ slurry from a India Black ale I just racked. Maybe I'll do an IPA. Oooo or ryePA. Hmm!

image-2596545595.jpg

That would be the 3rd generation for that. It would take off quickly, and ferment hard.

the only thing with doing an IPA is that i would think you'd want to see what kind of character you get from the yeast and lots of hops might interfere with your ability to taste that

Should I leave the lid on the bucket without airlock or just F@@@ it and go for broke no lid?

Decided to go ahead with my original plan. Made a big starter for WLP002 hoping for a quick and healthy start. I also did something new, I oxygenated my starter wort. Normally I just shake it up to aerate. Ill report back on any difference.

image-2343782622.jpg

18 hours on stir plate.

image-2480876064.jpg

The yeast is flocculating so much it looks like its boiling.

image-4139550902.jpg

Milling the grains.

image-3580008153.jpg

This monster mill give a great crush.

image-1839464638.jpg

Just about to temp.

image-324538698.jpg

Mash basket

image-949941999.jpg

Bag

image-4142310882.jpg

Doughed in, I recirculate through throughout the mash.

Started drinking and forgot to post.

I pitched a 2000ml starter at 2am I checke this morning and damn. That's the fastest start I've seen. I did a couple things different from a usual brew day.
1. I used double the starter I usually do.
2. I used servomyeces from white labs in the boil.
3. I'm using a bucket
4. Their is no airlock on that bucket and the lid is just sitting loosely on the top.

image-957492490.jpg

Back