oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norn_irn

Reaction score
so after starting homebrew a couple of years ago and due to work, baby etc i had to give up, so back on track making a California Connoisseur Rioja Tinto.

so got the everything set up, sanitized etc followed the instructions to the T.
after 3 days of no airlock movement and no smell i took a hydrometer reading which was the exact same as when i started.

after a lot of researching ive just realised it wasnt warm enough :( (to my frustrations I didnt follow instructions)
as i dont want to loose 5gallons uk of potential wine ive now moved it to the cubby hole, (i think you Americans call it the airing cupboard) as a temperary measure.

Q,
do you think the yeast will take, now that its in its temperature range? or will i have to get more yeast???

How far off was the temp? A few degrees won't stop the fermentation.

You might have gotten a pack of dead yeast with the kit???? A fresh pack (made into a starter) might be in your future.

it was quite cold, im doing that much running about i dont notice uless its absolutley freezing.
i phoned the shop where i got the kit and they told me to call with them.

cheers Doc

I'm fermenting 3 wines in my basement, its about 58-60 down there, all three have no issues with tempature, I'm using montriarchet yeast

I call it an airing cupboard. :)

If your week has been similar to mine, the temperatures won't have affected it that much. Just sounds like your yeast was dud.

Give it a couple more days in the 'cubbyhole' :p and see if it takes. If not, put a sachet of yeast on your shopping list.

Dicky

honda i think it was under 10c
the cubby hole has done the trick, some movement in the airlock this morning and i can see something going on result

Back