Quantcast

Oops... one inch hole for weldless fitting

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I screwed up and drilled one inch hole on a keggle for the weldless fitting instead of the 7/8. I managed to use the right one for all three of mine, but the first time I drill the hole for someone else, wrong size. Crud. I didn't even realize I had a 1" hole saw.:mad:

The set up still seems to work and I'm not getting any leaking out of the wall joint and it seem pretty solid. The only think that irks me a little is that the o-rings seem to be creeping out a lot more than mine do.

Anyway, I'd really like to plud the hole and give this guy a proper bulkhead/spout. Has anyone tried to plug one of these before? I was thinking a couple of stainless washers bolted together with some silicone material might do the trick, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience.

L

OP
B

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
Not sure where I'll get hi-temp silicone washers, but I was thinking of trying to find some silicone bakeware on sale. It may not look great, but it'll work.

OP
B

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
It's a lenox bi-metal. Standard issue at Lowes/HD. I had actually used a 3/4 bit for my earlier kegs, and dremeled out the hole until the nipple fit perfectly. Worked great.

I only wish I would have remembered that I bought a 1" for a different use. That's what you get for assuming, I guess.

TBORBrew

Reaction score
I had no problem going through a stainless megapot with a HD Rigid brand bi-metal hole saw. Actually cut easier than step bit. I prefer the hole from the step bit / dremel though.

klyph

Reaction score
Huh, I've been saving up for a stainless capable hole saw ($$$) but I guess I can just give it a go with the bi-metal.

Reaction score
If you get a sheet of this you'll have plenty of gasket material:

8615K82
Oil-and Water-Resistant Buna-N/Vinyl Rubber FDA-Compliant, 1/16" Thick, 12" X 12", 70A DuroIn stock at $7.86 Each
go to home depot and look around for "rubber packing sheets". They're red. Plumbing aisle. Mine has them for under $1. about 4x6". I cut custom gaskets. Used them on a boil pot, about 20 batches, still good.

OP
B

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I'd be a little worried about how food safe they are, otherwise that's a great solution.

go to home depot and look around for "rubber packing sheets". They're red. Plumbing aisle. Mine has them for under $1. about 4x6". I cut custom gaskets. Used them on a boil pot, about 20 batches, still good.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This might work fine, but the stuff I linked to is FDA compliant and good to boiling temperatures. The HD red packing sheets are only rated to 170 degrees.

Reaction score
This might work fine, but the stuff I linked to is FDA compliant and good to boiling temperatures. The HD red packing sheets are only rated to 170 degrees.
Yea, after I posted I realized that I had no idea what the temp rating was. However, like I said, it is on an older pot that I used many, many times. Many, many times.

bf514921

Reaction score
Had a similar type problem, i wanted to add a thermometerr to my mastun, but the existing hold was to big for the 1/2 in npt fitting and a weldless fitting, but i had an extra 1" weldless fitting for an electric element, bouthg one of these, http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6281.htm
and used my wledless electric fitting on the inside,
http://www.weldlessfittings.com/kettlefittings.html scroll to the bottom of the page for the fitting
NO!!!! washer on the outside, or oring.
it does require a 1.25 inch hole not 1", so you might be able to do the same sort of thing. i will get a pictrue posted shortly

firebird77

Reaction score
Yea, I was gonna say just use a nipple that is big enough to fill the hole, which is threaded inside to the diameter you need. Essentially it will be the same setup as always, just uses a larger bulkhead and a reducer.

Latest posts