Oops..left washed yeast at 69 degrees.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was cold crashing some beer and had my washed yeast in the same fridge (which is my fermentation chamber) when I changed the temp back to 69 degrees I forgot the yeast and it's been in there for about a month. Is it any good?

Make a one liter, 1.040, starter with the yeast. After fermentation let the starter set at room temperature for two weeks. Check the SG at the end of two weeks. If the SG is good and no signs of infection, the yeast is most likely still good. Refrigerate the yeast under the starter wort if it is still good.

I would say make a starter with it and use it as normal. People propagate yeast from bottle conditioned beers that have been sitting on shelves for months or even years.

You probably have some autolysis in there: Some dead yeast.

Re-wash the yeast to separate the healthy yeast from the dead yeast, make a starter, and pitch.

Just an update....... I made a starter with the London ESB Yeast and it took off like a rocket. So I guess I answered my own question. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Back