Oops...Added Whirlfloc to Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morebeer

Reaction score
Like the title says. I didn't even think about, I just threw it in like I have done with other beers. I was making a Bavarian style Hefe, using PM. Did I ruin my Hefe, or will it just look clearer?

A Kristalweizen is a tasty brew, indeed!

Your yeast, however, is not gonna drop out due to the whirlfloc, it'll stay in suspension (assuming you're using a hefe yeast). All you did was remove the proteins from the boil (hotbreak) with the whirlfloc.

If it was WLP300, it will take much more than a whirl-floc to discourage the cloudiness. I wouldn't worry about it.

Eric

Just for clarification, Hefeweizens aren't cloudy solely from the yeast. While it definitely has an impact, the high percentage of wheat in the grist and subsequent protein content acts in parallel with the yeast (the yeast traps the proteins in suspension) to make the beer hazy.

Just for clarification, Hefeweizens aren't cloudy solely from the yeast. While it definitely has an impact, the high percentage of wheat in the grist and subsequent protein content acts in parallel with the yeast (the yeast traps the proteins in suspension) to make the beer hazy.

Agreed. :tank:

Eric

Back