Only third brew day, decided to try BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wastegate

Reaction score
Don't know if you guys have seen these, but it was what I used.

I bought the German Wheat, added some Coriander and Bitter Orange peel @ the 10 minute mark of the boil.

Need to make sure I buy the right bag next time. This one was not big was not big enough to fit over the sides of the pot. Which made things a little more difficult.
IMAG0428.jpg

Curious to see how it turns out. My mash OG was 1.047

I bought the wrong sized bag for my first BIAB. Luckily the LHBS is about a block away, so I ran over there and got a bigger one in less than 5 minutes. Now I just use the smaller one as my hops/boil additions bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It looks like you're going to make yourself a "Better Blue Moon"!

Please let us know how this turns out, I'm looking to join the BIAB ranks!

It looks like you're going to make yourself a "Better Blue Moon"!

Please let us know how this turns out, I'm looking to join the BIAB ranks!

You wont regret trying BIAB. Its a lot less equipment to clean and is simple to do.

I wish my LHBS was only a block away...its probably a good thing it isn't though.

I had some issues trying to keep the temps right. Hopefully that doesn't make it too bad.

If you hit your mash temp right and had the grains double milled for BIAB your temperatures probably won't make too much difference. I've tried using iodine to see how long it took for conversion from starch to sugar because I heard that some people were doing shorter mash period instead of the hour long mash, like as short as 20 minutes. :eek:

I found that the iodine would turn blue (indicating starch present) when I doughed in and for the next 2 to 3 minutes and after that it wouldn't change. That indicates that your conversion was pretty much done early on in the mash and the rest of the time all that was happening was the grain was soaking.

My bottle of iodine cost about $10 at the pharmacy and holds 8 fluid ounces. So far I have used about 15 drops so I expect it will last me, oh, about 100 years. :D

I was curious about that also. I'm still new to using a refractormeter, maybe all my readings were off. I did not add water after the post mash reading.

Do you know the sizes for Boilermakers, 15g? I keep wanting to order your bags, but forgot to measure my pot.

I was curious about that also. I'm still new to using a refractormeter, maybe all my readings were off. I did not add water after the post mash reading.

Do you know the sizes for Boilermakers, 15g? I keep wanting to order your bags, but forgot to measure my pot.

That is odd, or more likely impossible. Unless you diluted with water, gravity will not decrease but will only increase the more you boil off.

No problem with a bag, the 15 gal. Boliermaker is 15.7 wide X 18.9 high, I usually keep a couple on hand ready to ship.
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermaker

I was curious about that also. I'm still new to using a refractormeter, maybe all my readings were off.

If you took your FG reading with a refractometer that could explain the high final gravity reading. You need to adjust for alcohol content using a conversion chart (Google can probably show you the way).

Um ok, sorry my confusion here, good point Boydster!

Since you posted gravity post mash, I incorrectly assumed you meant OG instead of FG....whew Oh gee I need a beer, been a long day.

Thanks Wastegate!

Um ok, sorry my confusion here, good point Boydster!

Since you posted gravity post mash, I incorrectly assumed you meant OG instead of FG....whew Oh gee I need a beer, been a long day.

Refractometers should all come with a disclaimer about using them when alcohol is present, it has been coming up a lot recently.

I'll crack a beer for ya over here, wilserbrewer! :D

Well that makes a lot of sense then. Using the Northern calculator

ABV is 4.55 and OG is 1.043. So my beer came out fine, right in spec.

I was worrying about nothing. It tasted very light because I had a 12% wheat wine before sampling.

Bag order placed.

Thanks all

Back