Only small bubbles in fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
.5 lbs of organic chocolate malt (steeped)
.5lbs of caramel 80 (steeped)
1/4 cup of flaked oats (steeped)
3 lbs Light DME (Boil - 60 min.)
113 tootsie rolls (Boil - 60 min)
.5 oz of Crystal - 60 min
.25 oz of Crystal - 20 min
4 oz of unsweetened cocoa - 15 min
.25 oz of Crystal - 7 min

1 package Nottingham Yeast

I brewed on Sunday and got the wort down to 61 before pitching. This was a half batch so given the high gravity (1.085) I figured rehydrating and pitching a full packet of notty would be plenty. I have a nice looking krausen on top but it isn't noticeably bubbling like I've grown accustom to seeing. There are millions of little bubbles that are rising from the bottom of the better bottle but no big bubbles on top. I'm not sure what to make of all this. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes you can have fermentation without a lot of activity in the airlock. Just go by your gravity reading numbers.

Nothing to worry about, as long as there is a nice krausen the yeast is working and it could be just getting really started. there may not have been enough CO2 yet developed to create activity in the airlock. If it was a half batch in a 6.5 Gallon primary there is a lot of head space to fill up first.

Big bubbles, little bubbles, lack of bubbles...MEAN NOTHING. An airlock is a valve, not a fermentation gauge. The only thing that means anything, and can tell you anything is a gravity reading.

Yea, I'm not really worried about the airlock, that can be very hit or miss for me. I mean more like when the yeast is going and the krausen looks like its boiling. There are tons of bubbles but they're all very small, didn't know if that was a cause for concern.

Big bubbles, little bubbles, lack of bubbles...MEAN NOTHING. An airlock is a valve, not a fermentation gauge. The only thing that means anything, and can tell you anything is a gravity reading.

You mean my empty, sanitized carboy isn't fermenting??!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I now have a great visual example to use in posts. :mug:

Of course if we're wrongs, then I would definitely huff the air in that carboy....you done what none of us have managed before.....Fermenting air!!!!!!

Does that mean I don't have to worry? I'm very confused...I never pay attention to the airlock, I just have aluminum foil with a rubber band on top of my carboy. I'm really just talking about the fermenting beer itself.

They added about .040 to the gravity haha. It just looks like straight chocolate milk in the carboy haha

I think I now have a great visual example to use in posts. :mug:

Of course if we're wrongs, then I would definitely huff the air in that carboy....you done what none of us have managed before.....Fermenting air!!!!!!

I was hoping you would say that. :mug:

Back