Only one Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Ho Guys,

You all told me a little earlier that Now, the new way to make beer is using only one fermenter.

So I poored my FestaBrew Bock kit, a bag of golden candy syrup and the Saflager S-23 yeast in the 6.5Gal plastic container w/ lid not clipped on the top. It's standing at 17.5C. I'm leaving for two weeks.

So when I"ll be back... What should I do and check if I wont transfer to the glass 6.5Gal bottle? How long should I wait before going to next step... What will be the next step?

Thanks,

MA

The next step is the step after the secondary that you used to do which is probably bottle. Check the gravity when you get home and make sure it's finished.

With a sanitized wine thief/Turkey baster (sp), transfer some beer into your hydrometer jar and take a hydrometer reading (the beer's FG). Some people will tell you do the same process three days later to make sure the gravity is stable, meaning that your beer has done fermentation.

If your gravity is stable, it's time to bottle! Clean an sanitize your bottles, caps, siphon, and bottling bucket. In a separate small pot, boil some water, and dissolve your priming sugar. Once dissolved, remove pot from stove and allow to cool. Transfer your beer into your bottling bucket via the siphon, and gently pour in the dissolved priming sugar solution. Give the beer a quick and gentle stir to evenly mix in the priming sugar (DO NOT SLOSH!)

Next, take your clean and sanitized bottles, fill them from the spigot of the bucket leaving about an inch from top for headspace. Place a cap on the top and crimp it with an Emily/Bench capper if glass bottles, or simply screw on the lid if using plastic.

Place bottles in dark room temp place for 3 weeks. Remove a bottle, put in fridge, let chill and sample. If the beer is nicely carbed, you can put the rest in and drink em'

As for your other empty glass carboy, get 5 gallons of more beet in their stat!

17.5° C is much too warm for that yeast. It's optimum temperature range is 12 - 15° C. You shouldn't attempt to brew a lager without having temperature control.

To answer your question, the next step is bottling.

Leave it alone for 2 weeks, then bottle. If possible, for the last few days of that period, get it as cold as you can without freezing. This will help it clear.

As other have said, you're using a lager yeast at ale temperatures. It's not a disaster, but you might not get the lager you were hoping for. Lagers should be fermented at 10° C.

I believe "fiesta brew" is wort in a bag...

It's "Festa Brew," but there are other no-boil kits that use concentrated pre-hopped LME (the Festa Brew kits are not concentrated - they're full volume pre-hopped wort that only need to have yeast added to them). You're not supposed to boil those pre-hopped LME kits, as they're already pasteurized and boiling alters the hop profile.

Back