Only from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
A friend just brought me a 12 pack of craft beers from Utah. It is funny to see a Pilsner, Lager, Pale Ale, and Porter all with the same ABV of 4 %.

Alcohol laws in Utah are weird. Research just a bit to get the exact answer but I know that is why.

It's sort of sad, especially when it's clear the beer would be excellent had they only been allowed 1-2% more abv to brew it to style.

It's sort of sad, especially when it's clear the beer would be excellent had they only been allowed 1-2% more abv to brew it to style.

You have to go to the liquor store to get all of the local beer that is over the 4%. All you see at the grocery store is 4% or under. If you are still in Utah you should check it out, there are 4-5 really good breweries in Salt Lake.

I have nothing against a 4 % beer but it is just strange to see 4 different styles all wtih the same abv. I am not in UT this was a gift froma friend who lives in the Salt Lake City area. Of course the brewers have to live with the law like it or not.

You have to go to the liquor store to get all of the local beer that is over the 4%. All you see at the grocery store is 4% or under. If you are still in Utah you should check it out, there are 4-5 really good breweries in Salt Lake.

Oh, I know that. I really like Epic Brewery for instance and they don't brew anything at or below the 4% limit. It's just that if you want to sell more beer and have it available outside of the state run liquor store you need to keep it under 4%. So a beer that ought to be 5% can be worked down to 4% and be available to a larger market at a lower price. It seems Uintah, Squatters, Wasatch and Bohemian have all decided to live mostly at the 4% limit, even though they have a few beers sold at the LQ that are higher abv.

I agree with the OP that it is sort of funny to see all the beers at exactly 4%. It is a response to the law that has created the phenomenon of all styles being brewed to the exact same abv. It has created a myth in the state that all regular beer is 6%+ and only Utah beer is 3.2% (where they use abw to make it seem even more dramatic than it is). The reality being that there are great beers brewed to style at 3%abv all the way up past 10%abv with a good portion of beer being to style in the 4%-6% range. It sure would open up many more possibilities for local breweries if we could get the bottle and draft abv limit abolished.

Latest posts

Back