Only adding hops @ 20 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
In last month's BYO one of the tips from the pros was about only adding hops with less than 20 minutes left in the boil. So my assumption would be to add alot of hops to get the bittering effect and at the same time your getting some flavor. Has anyone done this and does anyone have a recipes. It's sounds interesting to say the least. I did some searching and could really find anything. I know the cost will be more b/c of the hops but it seems doable and maybe a way to clear out my freezer of some hops. Looking for someone that has done this vs. traditional bittering @ 60 min.

Check out Tasty McDole's American Pale Ale. You use something like 6.5 oz in the last twenty mins giving a total of only about 12 IBUs. I made it a couple months ago and my friends and I think it was the best beer I've ever made.

I've made a beer with only one moderately big addition @ 20 minutes, with a 60 minutes hop stand at 80 C after flameout, loosely based on a recipe for Crouch Vale Brewers Gold posted by Mashweasel over at the Northernbrewer forum. I probably should have used a more appropriate yeast than Nottingham, but it still turned out pretty good.

I do it with my American Wheat. I've changed to doing 2 hopping variations and thrown the others out the window:

1. the hoppy version. It gets the 20,15,10,5,0 treatment- usually Amarillo but I will use whatever mixed in.

2.) The faint version. Only a flame out addition and hop steep/whirlpool. I will throw in the hops at the end of the boil then let them steep for 30 and begin my chill. Last time I used williamette and cascade. It was awesome.

Back