Online TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Has anyone made the leap to only online TV. I would really like to ditch the cable co.

Anyone tried this? http://www.itv-pro.com/

Looks a little like a scam, but it seems like the technology aught to be there by now.

Thoughts?

never heard of that app but if you aren't a huge sports watcher i dont really see a big need for cable TV anymore... and this is coming from someone who works for Comcast. The only reason i have it is for sports broadcasts and its free. If i left Comcast the only reason, again, keeping me with any kind of subscription is sports. Pay $10 for hulu and 8 for Netflix and you have enough right there. Get a box that works with those two (not sure if apple tv does, google tv, roku, boxee) and you have it all on your TV>

Streaming TV to the wii or other internet device through Netflix has replaced cable for many.

It does not offer local channels or too much tv variety, but throw in TONS of movies, unlimited streaming, and low monthly cost ($8.95 I think) and there is always something to watch.

(this necessitates having a wii or other device, which if you have, is a no brainer)

I want to ditch satellite TV in the worst way. I have Netflicks and would use Hulu.

My problem is that I need access to Korean language shows and I haven't had any luck finding a set up that would work for me. :mad:

EDIT: Anyone using those new TV antennas for HD local? They look cool.

Ditched cable several (7?) years ago. We use netflix streaming via a roku box to the tv in our living room, with an OTA antenna for network broadcasts, and stream netflix to a Wii in the kids room. Sports is our achilles heal; we just do without games we don't get OTA.

After looking at the link my computer locked up. :( I guess it couldn't believe it either. :D

Free TV for life after just paying $47.95?? Even at $199.95 the original price that is hard to believe. I notice it didn't really list the channels, most were descritions of the kind of programing.

Ditched cable several (7?) years ago. We use netflix streaming via a roku box to the tv in our living room, with an OTA antenna for network broadcasts, and stream netflix to a Wii in the kids room. Sports is our achilles heal; we just do without games we don't get OTA.

yeah all of my local sports teams except for football are all broadcast on regional sports networks... i can't get them OTA and they blackout local web broadcasts (if i try to watch online via subscription) so i'm stuck.

Combine Netflix streaming with Online streaming to TV (Hulu, etc...) and cable/sattelite does become less appealing. Throw on a good antenna for dgital and get local OTA.

A Roku media player actually had the largest "channel" selection I have seen to date.

I have cable, but the only reason I have it is for English Premier League soccer. Some of the games are streamed online, but not enough of them.

I didn't have cable for 6 months when I moved down here and it was a non-issue. Between downloading shows, Netflix and Hulu, I can see everything I want besides live sports.

the Roku box looks pretty cool, but I have a computer hooked to the TV, so it would be nice to just use it. The problem is online seems bit disorganized right now.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, I just want to relax and watch. Not have to surf. Does the box make it as convenient as cable? It looks like the answer.

any box that supports Hulu Plus and Netflix are pretty easy to use. Roku gets you a few sports package options as well... if you have a PS3, it also does MLB/NHL/Hulu Plus/Netflix plus its own download service

some of you my be interested to learn about www.espn3.com if your ISP is one of their partners you can stream anything live.....It seems like a friggin awesome site, I cannot use it however, they dont like Embarq/Century Link I suppose...

The wii netflix just updated to no longer require the disc. Reasonably cool.

I find their ratings to be pretty good too. 4 or 5 stars is at least going to be decent.

I need to check out hulu, but I don't watch much TV.

"the walking dead" is the only thing I am watching regularly now.

A freind also schooled me on "play on". Pay a single fee to get connectivity to online "channels" without having to pay the PS and XB connectivity annual fees.

A freind also schooled me on "play on". Pay a single fee to get connectivity to online "channels" without having to pay the PS and XB connectivity annual fees.

Playstation has no annual fees, hence it is superior to Xbox.:)

two words: newshosting / usenet

I don't even watch live tv now that I build my Media sever.

-=Jason=-

we ditched cable. We use:
Roku in the bedroom tv for netflix
Home Media PC to watch netflix and also record/watch OTA HDTV with our tuner card

Also if you all want to watch sports than check this out, I watched most of the World Series on it:
EDIT: nevermind the link, i can't find the right one so i won't post a site to a russian website that I'm unsure of

When the Wii can play a Blu-Ray then we will talk.

Who needs blu ray when it can stream?;)lol, kidding.

I am sure you are right. All I know is that my daughter's "Root of all EVIL" kids game is MORE bad assed than any Medal of Honor on a non "pointer" gaming system.

The independant "run and gun", (not straifing, but AIMING) was a first.

So much more realistic than a little "X" on the screen or cross hairs or anything else.(although it does place a little "X" on the screen, it moves in real time with the pointer, not any sort of "joystick" control)

we ditched cable. We use:
Roku in the bedroom tv for netflix
Home Media PC to watch netflix and also record/watch OTA HDTV with our tuner card

Also if you all want to watch sports than check this out, I watched most of the World Series on it:
EDIT: nevermind the link, i can't find the right one so i won't post a site to a russian website that I'm unsure of

Which Roku?

I am seriously considering the XD-S for wireless connectivity to my big screen but am kinda weary about Roku. I was there when they started out and sold a LOT of those early NetRadio bridges (forget what they called them) and then all of a sudden, those disappeared.

I have a TiVo Premiere that does Netflix, Amazon on Demand, Hulu Plus, Youtube, and a few other random streams... I also get OTA here in the SF Bay Area so I get all I need.

1080P MKV rips FTMFW.... just make sure have plenty of Tera bytes to store all of those movies.

-=Jason=-

we got the one with HD and also the 802.11n (I think thats the XD-s) so it can stream the HD wirelessly. Now keep in mind that many wireless networks will only be as fast as their slowest connection, so even if you have a 802.11n router if you put a device that is 802.11g or b its only going to be as fast as the slowest device's max speed. Some routers support multiple bands though so maybe it will work.
The bedroom TV isn't HD but when we had the XD-S on the 37in LCD TV, and watched something that was in HD it DID look pretty good. Not quite HDTV (from antenna) good, but better than blue ray.
The netflix browser is very limited, I wouldn't plan on actually trying to FIND something to watch through it although sometimes you get lucky.

turned the satelite off yesterday! I have a ruku and the ota antenna (the db4 is giving me great reception, hope to take the dish down and move the antenna outside this weekend too). The only thing i'll miss is the news channels. I hope to get a mythtv box running this weekend to dvr some of the ota shows. I still have to check out what hulu plus has to offer.

I have a home theater pc running windows 7 so I use Media Center with Mediabrowser and Media Center Master to handle all my movies and tv. I still keep a basic cable package so I can watch the local channels plus the NFL games..

I haven't had cable in a year or so, netflix/hulu combo, and for those who need sports, there are a number of websites out there where you can find live streams of most games. I'm a hockey freak andI've been able to watch every Flyers game so far this season without any problems. Now, the quality isn't always very good, but I'm not picky i.e. it's better than listening to the radio.

Barnzy02 I haven't had cable in a year or so, netflix/hulu combo,

Im with you on that. I have had a computer hooked up to a large tv for going on 2 years now and without cable for the last 6 months.

Can anyone who has hulu plus fill me in on what I am actually getting for $8 a month other than what Hulu already has, but in HD?

i was curious about the hulu plus as well. Does it get rid of the ads? where you have to see the same ad 5 times before a show is over

What i have read is that Hulu plus still haves commercials but a larger library and HD. Im no picture snob, so a laptop hooked up through a HDMI cable comes pretty damn close to HD quality using regular hulu. The library they speak of has only been mentioned to have more seasons of the shows they already have. That is why I asked if there was more. doesn't seem worth it when netflix already has all the old seasons of most popular shows

has anybody tried satellite direct? sounds too good for a 50$ one time fee for access to 3500 channels form 95 countries. would like to know if anyone has bought this with some feedback.

Back