Online shops to use? Or avoid?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’m curious, now that it’s 2018 and the last post on this issue was a year back or so, what online sites you recommend?

And what sites to avoid?

(For both equipment and ingredients)

When I order grains I like to use Ritebrew. Good price and you can buy grains by the ounce. Yeast and hops are reasonably priced as well. We now have a homebrew store close by so I try to buy from them now.

If you're in the new england area try Jasper's Supply www.boomchugalug.com is pretty good for ingredients. It's a small shop, but they do online ordering. Pretty no frills website but they have good prices for grains etc. Standard $7-8 shipping. I like them a lot and it's nice to help out a local shop, plus I get the packages rapidly because of proximity.

For equipment I'm really in to Ritebrew lately. Prices are great but mind their shipping. It is very expensive and cuts in to the savings. Even so still the cheapest I've seen for most hardware.

I'm down on northern Brewer. I'll still use them occasionally, when they have some good sales. But even so they're surprisingly expensive for such a big store. I was just shopping for faucets. Perlick ss flow control faucet $70 at NB. Try $48 at Ritebrew! I was also unimpressed with the one kit I tried from NB. They seem geared towards premade equipment, keg kits, Brewing kits etc but always using mediocre parts and seems like it's always cheaper if you just piece it out with better parts. Like " Here's all the parts for $30, but if you buy it now all together we'll only charge you $50!"

There are some good national and regional online shops but I tend to stay local.
There are quite a few homebrew supply shops in my state or area, but with an online store you have to worry about how up-to-date and current their product stock might be.

I don't do kits - never have, and never will. Pricing and shipping isn't worth it for me when at least two good brew stores are within driving distances of one hour or less. That said, I really like Love2Brew, it's a very comprehensive and well-organized East Coast small business that has great variety and some dedicated people running it.

I have had excellent service from Morebeer and will continue to shop with them. I have had good luck with Rite Brew, Williams Brewing and Farmhouse Brewing Supply (also a sponsor here).

Northern Brewer has been acquired by AB, so I haven't purchased from them since the buy out. I still receive their emails and what not, but their prices are usually never within reason of the other online shops listed above. My LHBS is a bit on the pricey side, but their online prices are reasonable but shipping kills it. The only problem is they will not let you order online and pickup in the store to save on the shipping. One day a while back they didn't state this policy anywhere and they had radio ads stating they will match anyone's prices. When I asked about price matching their own online store (not even a competitor) I was told I would need to pay the shipping cost even though I was there and checking out. That really pissed me off and I try not to buy from them for this reason unless I have too.

I use Morebeer and Yakamavalleyhops almost exclusively. AIH is where I get my new kegs and some other odds and ends.

I avoid Northern Brewer because of who owns them.

I get a lot from ritebrew. Shipping is low if you’re in the Great Lakes region and spend over 75. It’s usually $3-4 for me, but im close to them. Hops from yakama valley. I still get my specialty grains, sacks, and yeast from NB as they’re real close and those prices are good when you stack AHA -10% and buy the $100 get $20 gift cards. A lot of stuff is just ridiculously priced though. Candi syrup for $9.99 when you can get it for just over $4 elsewhere. But the staff locally is great.

I’ve also got some stuff from more beer, Williams, AIH (kegs and parts). Parts from brewhardware and stainlessbrewing. Wine kits and misc from label peelers, but I’ve found their shipping really high so I only buy stuff from them as an add on to a wine kit.

Try tx brewing.com

In Texas obviously but they offer flat rate next day shipping with tremendous variety, especially on yeast

They also do podcasts that are pretty good

There are a lot of decent on-line stores out there. I'd like to hear from anyone who knows of bad stores.

I've used Northern Brewer a lot in the past. I don't knock NB because they have been bought by InBev. But I have found they have increased their shipping costs and bulk grain costs such that they have priced themselves out of the market for me since being bought. They do have kits for $19.99 a couple of times a year with low shipping (have to buy 3), which makes it worth it.

More beer for grain (10 lbs and bulk). RiteBrew for many different items. Yakima Valley and Direct Hops for bulk hops. And Label Peelers when they have 40% off sales which they seem to have every few months.

No store has the best price on everything you want. Be prepared to go to several places.

There are quite a few homebrew supply shops in my state or area, but with an online store you have to worry about how up-to-date and current their product stock might be.

My experience is that the on-line stores have a higher turn-over in stock that local stores, and my concern is with how up-to-date and current their product stock might be in the local stores.

Pricing and shipping isn't worth it for me when at least two good brew stores are within driving distances of one hour or less.

An hour is a pretty long distance. When you factor in cost per mile (including initial cost, maintenance and depreciation of your car, which could be as much as 50 cents a mile), the on-line stores could start looking attractive.

My 'local' store is about 15 miles away. Listermann, it is a brewery with a well established store. On-line is cheaper, and when I factor in time and travel cost, (and tax), my 'local' store just can't compete.

I recently ordered from Austin Homebrew and they were great. I had to call them to ask a few q’s and I got someone who was knowledgeable and professional.

I've ordered all of my kettles and fermonsters from Morebeer with great service and timely and free shipping. I've purchased my tubing, quick disconnects, and pumps from brewhardware.com. I must say Bobby is the absolute best! Answers email questions and will review your order to ensure you're buying what you need, not what makes him the most money.

Latest posts

Back