Online Ordering of yeast during winter months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strikertown

Reaction score
Do any of you still do this or just get them from your LHBS? I want to try out the Greenbelt from Austin Homebrew but its friggin cold up here in Ohio. Is there any way to mitigate the risk?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not certain, but I would imagine that the packaging and being inside of the shipping truck would decrease the chance of freezing. I doubt they would ship the yeast if people were complaining about it getting frozen along the way. Probably the sooner you order it the better as it's not getting any warmer! :)

It'd be better to order yeast in the winter months as opposed to the summer months. In the summer you need to worry about blazing hot temps frying the yeast during transit whereas in the winter you could expect better vitality from the yeast you received in the mail.

It'd be better to order yeast in the winter months as opposed to the summer months. In the summer you need to worry about blazing hot temps frying the yeast during transit whereas in the winter you could expect better vitality from the yeast you received in the mail.

I agree. I just received a shipment from Austin which included a pack of Greenbelt. I ordered the ice pack as I always do and the yeast arrived in pristine condition. The few times during the summer months that I order yeast online, the package normally arrives a bit bloated even with the ice pack. Montanaandy

Do any of you still do this or just get them from your LHBS? I want to try out the Greenbelt from Austin Homebrew but its friggin cold up here in Ohio. Is there any way to mitigate the risk?

Thanks in advance.

Ship it to where you work so it doesnt sit outside on the doorstep.

Forrest

I typically order yeast online in the spring and fall and buy at the LHBS during winter and summer. Never had a problem with this, and maybe I can order safely in the winter - just have not tried...

I live in Minnesota and was wondering the same thing, it seems like sitting in the back of a UPS truck overnight in below zero weather wouldn't be good for the yeast. And my closest LHBS is 2 hours away. I have been washing some of the yeast i have now to get me through the winter.

I get yeast at the LHBS but I'm lucky because they have a good variety of fresh yeast. Though most of the time I just reuse washed yeast.

Back