One Year later: Brown Ale Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich5665

Reaction score
A little over a year ago I brewed an English Brown Ale. I waned to use my Mr. Beer Fermenting barrels so I had my local shop put together a 2.5 Gallon all grain recipe for me. The brewing went great an the wort was transferred to my little brown barrel. Just short of 2 weeks into fermenting I picked up the strong sent of beer. Checking on my little brown keg, I was horrified to find the spigot was cracked and the contents dripping onto the floor. I quickly sanitized a my bottling bucket, measured out the needed amount sugar for carbonation and proceed to drain the wort into the bottling bucket. I prayed to the beer gods hoping I had saved my Brown Ale. After bottling, I boxed up the bottles and put them in the cellar to age a bit.

Needless to say I forgot about them. A little over a year had past since I had last looked at the doomed brew. Yesterday I came home to the strong scent of beer in the cellar. Following a trail of shattered brown glass and the now dried liquid that had been my beer. I found the remains of the case of English Brown Ale. Of the twenty-four bottles only seventeen had survived the onslaught of exploding bottles. Glass was everywhere. I pulled out the shop vac and cleaned up the area. I then transferred the remaining bottles to a cooler. Later that evening while I sat at my desk, I heard the explosion of glass. Thinking something had fallen I went to investigate. Two more bottles had decided to commit blow. Beer and glass were spread across the floor.

I would not have expected bottled beer to wait a full year to decide to become bottle bombs. Now I'm afraid to open the cooler for fear of one of the bottle deciding to explode while I'm lifting the lid on the cooler. To be honest, I really expected this to happen a year ago .

Open them and quickly recap the remaining bottles. Then drink them over the next week or two.

I did this with an overcarbonated batch and it worked out fine.

I suspect an infection that took the gravity down very, very slowly. Thus it too a year to increase the carbonation to a point high enough to explode the bottles. It could have been contaminated through the broken spigot, or from the rush to sanitize and bottle the beer and not getting everything fully sanitized.

Sometimes changes in temperature, vibration, or atmospheric pressure can trigger bottle bombs. Once the first one goes it shakes up the others and then it's like dominos. Of course this wouldn't happen to normal beer. My guess is that you bottled too early before fermentation was complete and the yeast have continued to ferment the remaining sugars in the bottle.

I would be very very very careful opening the remaining bottles. It might be best to leave them be. In my experience these won't be drinkable. Even if you open the bottle without it exploding, the contents will fountain out and you'll get nothing but foam for your trouble.

Latest posts

Back