One year in Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in south Georgia but have been living in Oregon since 1997. The spouse unit and I have been thinking of looking for somewhere else a little warmer and cheaper to live. I would not mind moving backing to Georgia or Alabama but I often worry about moving away and regretting it.

I grew up in south Georgia but have been living in Oregon since 1997. The spouse unit and I have been thinking of looking for somewhere else a little warmer and cheaper to live. I would not mind moving backing to Georgia or Alabama but I often worry about moving away and regretting it.
Lots of places are cheaper than Oregon, but part of the trade off can be colder weather, or hurricanes, or tornadoes.

I'm an indiana man myself. I like to visit other places, but I'm thrilled that this is my home.

Soo, you either really like corn, or really don't like drought.

Not following. What changes have you experienced?
Gas is $2 a gallon cheaper.
Car insurance is cheaper.
Housing is WAY cheaper.
Property taxes are way less.
There's no grafitty that we've seen so far (in Fort Wayne).
No panhandlers.
Snow.

Yeah, I grew up in Chicago, went to Purdue to become an electrical engineer, and had a choice between Fort Wayne or San Jose for my first job out of college. The difference in salary was exactly equal to the difference in calculated cost of living. I went to San Jose and haven't regretted it since. I remember the day I was able to throw away the ice scraper in my car, and it was one of the happiest days of my life lol!

I ended up down in SoCal, and there are places I'd consider leaving for, but Indiana is NOT one of them.

Obviously, all that said, I'm glad you enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks. I'm certainly not going to argue that California is without problems (cost of living, taxes, etc), but I get more out of it than I think I would in Indiana.

Northern California in our rear view mirror was a beautiful thing.
But don't you miss the California Girls?
1652978699212.png

Number 10 on the list of 12 friendliest states to live in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-092610.png
    Screenshot_20220527-092610.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 0
Two more lists.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-101919.png
    Screenshot_20220527-101919.png
    404.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220527-101935.png
    Screenshot_20220527-101935.png
    143 KB · Views: 0