One Stir Plate, Two Flasks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
Brewing up a ten gallon batch, fermenting into TWO 6 gallon Better Bottle fermenters.

I've got ONE stir plate but TWO 2L erlenmeyer flasks. Can I start one 2L yeast starter 48 before brew day, then 24 hours before brew day pull it off, set it aside on the counter overnight and start the next 2L yeast starter? Then on brew day, just dump one in each? Will leaving one of the yeast starters in-active overnight do anything to the starter? Anyone ever done this?

Thanks!

Never done it but it should work fine. Just make sure to put the first one back on the stirplate right before pitching to get everything mixed back together

Start them 4 or 5 days before brewday. Cold crash them. Decant and pitch on brewday.

I have made them 10 days before and they still worked fine.

ive encountered a similar problem and just started them both at the same time and let them take turns on the stir plate for a day or so and they both turned out fine and didn't seem to take any longer than when I leave it on the plate the whole time

Back