One Step Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaineriv

Reaction score
Well, I just noticed something slightly disturbing in the inside of my carboy. Before I racked my stout into the carboy that I use as my secondary, I sanitized it with One Step. It says that it is no rinse, but there was still quite a bit of that powered crud inside so I rinsed it out anyway until I didn't see any more and then let it drip dry. A couple of days after racking the beer into it, I noticed some of this crap on the inside walls of the carboy. I know that's what it is because it is identical to the crusted One Step that spilled down the outside of the carboy that I didn't really worry about wiping off. It stays put on the outside unless you scratch it off with a finger nail. Apparently, this stuff plastered itself to the inside and dried before I racked the beer. If I wobble the carboy, it doesn't budge when the beer inside swishes around, so it's pretty much caked in one place. I don't know much about the chemical make-up of One Step, but will the dried crud on the inside ruin the beer around it or cause major off-tastes? If so, I might as well not go any further with it...

captaineriv

Found this online. Guess it makes me feel a little better. It just looks disconcerting with powered crud on the inside of the carboy with beer in it:

"How can a no-rinse cleanser like One Step not affect beer flavor?

There is a very low level of solid material in a One Step solution (1 Tbsp. per gallon is not much!). Once bottles or equipment have been rinsed, the solution easily drains off, leaving very little solution behind-- which has very little solids. Even those solids that may be left are the same types of minerals which you would be leaving behind if you were to go ahead and rinse with tap water. (Not to mention the fact that a lot of the mineral content of the One Step solution is the same as that responsible for the excellent water of Burton-on-Trent brews!)"

I bet you'll be fine. I never let my fermentor or bottles or anything dry completely after using no rinse. There are always drops of it left on my stuff. I've never noticed an odd flavor.

That's good to know. This is my first time using One Step. Before, I always used C-Brite and never had any problems. I just never noticed any residue inside my carboy either. But if anything, whatever's in One Step (I believe a Hydrogen Peroxide-like compound) would probably be preferable to the chlorine in C-Brite.

captaineriv

Back