One stage Extract with air leak in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waddell

Reaction score
Two days ago I started fermenting an English bitter extract kit with my newly rigged up primary fermenter. Its one of those 6.5 g ( 25 l ) plastic containers with a spigot and two handles on the top. I drilled a hole in the lid and added a 1/2 ID blow off tube glued to a rubber bung. I'll add a picture soon. With krausen inside the primary, I have no sign of bubbling from the blow off tube. This could be the result of a leak, likely a small hole around the rubber bung. From what I've read this won't affect the process with no mention of time. Can I brew this extract beer in a leaky primary as a one stage or is it suggested I transfer over to a secondary or am I just a newbie with blow off tubes and there isn't much bubbling initially?

Revvy is right - all is well. I don't even use an airlock most of the time, just set the lid on top then snap in place once krausen has subsided.

Cheers!

The last batch I brewed I noticed after 2 days that the lid was not snapped all the way on. I snapped it on then eventually the air lock bubbled. 2 days later my 1 year old took the airlock off unbenontced to me. 3 days go by and I see what happened. I fixed the problem and crossed my fingers about oxidation. I'm now drinking that brew and it is one of the more tasty brews I've made. Goes to show that it takes a lot to ruin a brew.

Latest posts

Back