One More Licensing Exam Down...Here's to Cantillon Iris!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So the bad news about taking NINE freakin' licensing exams is that they're all the way in Richmond, which is a little over and hour away. The good news, however, is that the Capital Ale House is less than a mile from the testing facilities :ban:. So I'm always careful to schedule my tests so that I can go directly from Prometric to CAH and get lunch.

Today I took my 3rd of nine (wifey scheduled hers for today too, so we took them at the same time), and finished around 11:30. Went straight to CAH for some lunch.

First I ordered an Imperial IPA from somebody I can't remember, and they were out of it. So I tried another one, no dice. Third times a charm: Wyerbacher Simcoe IPA. Holy hell, that was awesome. Might've been the best IPA I've ever had. Now, I've tried it in bottle before and it was good, but not like this. So balanced, with such awesome citrusy hop flavor, all I can say is WOW! The wife had the Cuvee Angelique from Glazen de Toren, which was very nice, though nothing to write home about.

Second, I ordered the Cantillon Iris. I've had it once, in bottle, and it was awesome, but never seen it on tap before. When the guy brought me the glass (a champagne flute!), he said that I'm the first person to order it in like 6 months, and that they might be the only place in the country with it on tap...yeah, he could tell I knew my sh*t. And it was mindblowing, too. Spontaneously fermented, all stinky, virtually no carbonation, man, it was a trip. So effin' good! Last, we wanted the Brooklyn/Schneider Hopfenweisse. Again, out of it. Man, did we have bad luck, I think I ordered everything they were out of, which is a feat, considering they have a beer list a few dozen pages long. So I tried a sample of the Dragon's Milk (had it last week out of a bottle and it was great), and the keg was even better than in bottle. Had a glass of that and was, again, very pleased. The oak is so integrated, and there's a very smooth, silky quality to the draft version. 1

Taking exams isn't ALL bad! :cross:

I went there with the wifey a couple weeks ago and they had Victory Storm King Stout on cask and that was incredible! The bottle is good, but the cask is on a who' nubba leba:rockin:

Latest posts

Back