one more Irish moss question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
So the Irish Moss worked. No doubt.

I found this batch (an IPA with extra hops) to be very difficult to transfer into the carboy. My funnel has a screen in it, and it kept getting clogged. Is this because the moss was grabbing all the proteins and coagulating them....AND I just noticed that I can see clumps in the carboy (it started to ferment within 7 hours). In fact I had to place a blow off tube in it already. Can the moss still be doing its magic in the carboy?
You all are awesome. Thanks for your input.

It's perfectly OK to just dump all of that break material into primary instead of filtering it out. Because of the Irish Moss, it'll all settle reather quickly and you can rack above it when you move to the bottling bucket/keg.

Thanks Topherm. I would have but the screen was preinstalled. It was rather a pain in the arse. Thanks have a great day.

I've noticed on my 1st PM brew that the cold break will compact down just like regular trub/yeast at the bottom over a 3 week primary. Wasn't much of a problem for me. But since I have plastic fermenters with larger opennings,I can use a large dual layer fine mesh strainer. More room for straining gunk out.

Latest posts

Back