One more guy going pro - Man Skirt Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I know I haven't been around HBT for a while, but you guys were always my homebrewing family, so I figure it's about time I announce it here: I'm in the process of going pro with Man Skirt Brewing (new website coming soon!). You can keep an eye on our Facebook page, or follow us on Twitter to get all the latest info.

The plan is to open a 7bbl distributing brewery in Hackettstown, NJ. I've got quotes on equipment, have some real estate in mind, and am harassing town officials about zoning.

Feel free to hit me with any questions, here, via Email, or on the Facebooks. Don't use PM, since I don't have a pro account here any more.

1009377_10151483480933517_964485669_o.jpg

Hey good luck. No wonder I found your website to be different:) I know a man with your attention to detail will do well.

Who did you contact for your equipment? I am putting together a business plan currently and would love to know who you contacted. Some of the companies out west have told me they are 6 months behind. Was that your experience?

Thanks, all! I'm still in the process of finding real estate. Frustration level: maxiumum.

For equipment, I've been working with Portland Kettle Works. They've been super responsive and helpful. Plus, their products are made in the USA, which is a big reason I've been leaning towards them.

Note that's not a reflection on people who use Chinese manufacturers. Stout Tanks, for example, makes an excellent product--I've heard very good things about them, and I know Community Beer Works at least is using them. But one of my core business values is to stay as local as possible, including equipment and ingredients.

Thanks, all! I'm still in the process of finding real estate. Frustration level: maxiumum.

For equipment, I've been working with Portland Kettle Works. They've been super responsive and helpful. Plus, their products are made in the USA, which is a big reason I've been leaning towards them.

Note that's not a reflection on people who use Chinese manufacturers. Stout Tanks, for example, makes an excellent product--I've heard very good things about them, and I know Community Beer Works at least is using them. But one of my core business values is to stay as local as possible, including equipment and ingredients.

Lol awesome... I went to a brewfest there once!

Awesome! You're not going to be too far from me. Make sure you get the Clover Leaf to have your beers on tap so that I can try a few.

As a resident of Randolph I was always thinking the area needed a brewery. You beat me to it! Can't wait to see the brewery and would like to chat sometime about the whole experience. Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What size system are you putting in? Saw you originally planned on 7bbl but it has been almost a year since then...

Thanks all! We're totally stoked to be bringing some quality brew to the NW NJ area. I agree: we need it up here!

What size system are you putting in? Saw you originally planned on 7bbl but it has been almost a year since then...
I am still planning 7bbl. Now I've just got to convince the bank to give me a huge pile of money so I can buy it!

I sit here on the couch wearing a kilt and reading up on everything after having been away for a while....

Holy cow! Nostolgia is going pro, and it seems everyone else I remember from a while back is now a moderator. The insane are running the asylum, and Man Skirt brewing is a reality! Congrats Joe! I look forward to your adventures!

What area of town? When do you think you will open operations?

I went to your website but felt like I couldn't get any info... maybe put the town and some updates on the home or about page?

Holy cow! Nostolgia is going pro, and it seems everyone else I remember from a while back is now a moderator. The insane are running the asylum, and Man Skirt brewing is a reality! Congrats Joe! I look forward to your adventures!
Hey scoob! Crazy, right? Thanks, we're all pretty excited over here. I'll try to keep posting here, but keep an eye on the website and Facebook page for all the latest news.

What area of town? When do you think you will open operations?

I went to your website but felt like I couldn't get any info... maybe put the town and some updates on the home or about page?

I deliberately haven't put much info on the website yet. We've been in the process of real estate wrangling and I wanted to wait until we were sure.

Well, now we're sure! Since HBT is where I started, you guys can get first look at MSB HQ.

The website will be updated this week with more info. I'm planning to start operating in late 2014, depending on licensing.

Well, it's settled then.... I'm heading over there and buying some beers when I get back to your area!

Best of luck to you!

And do take some brewery construction pics, I love seeing the pipes and vats, kettles, etc..

You doing DE filtration or sandwich plates?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

a new brewery thats even closer to me than KANE or carton.
angry eriks stuff is weak.
ramstein, bleh (although bolero is ok)
need any employees?
what styles are you going to focus on?
for sure hit up cloverleaf, morris tap and grill, coppermine, etc
also be sure to get in touch with Jesse Garrity over at Poor Henrys over in montville. thats my closest local beer bar, and the JUST expanded to 24 taps and Jesse is superknowledgable on beer.
exciting news, glad i opened the thread!!!

@azscoob: No filtering. Cold crashing only. Live beer, baby!

@NewJersey: I thought Erik's beers were pretty good. Why do you say weak? I mean, I didn't like the lemongrass beer, but that's totally not my bag.

In other news, we were featured in this great article recently and were interviewed on WRNJ radio Hackettstown! The show is the 5/30 archive, starting at about 34 minutes.

Oh, as for styles. I'm going to start with a basic range--blonde ale, stout, bitters--but would like to lean towards English styles, maybe some cask offerings.

I'm trying to work with local farmers to try to use seasonal ingredients, as well. I'd love to be able to recreate my watermelon wheat, or cranberry braggot.

Wow, 8 months ago? Holy hell. Got an update for y'all!

The word of the day is: delays. I went through 7 electricians before I found two to get me quotes to compare. Like guys would show up for the estimate then just never send it to me. WTF, people?

My architect did a half-ass job, then fell off the face of the earth. I had to start over with a new one, adding another 2 months.

Fast forward to today! Equipment is being delivered in 2 weeks. We should be able to start construction about the same time.

If all goes to plan (har har) we should be open by May.

In the meantime, I'm running a Kickstarter to raise some money for the tasting room. I didn't put it in the crowdfunding forum since it's not technically homebrew-related. If y'all could share it around, I'd me most appreciative.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381697436/tasting-room-at-man-skirt-brewing

Cheers!

-Joe

Latest posts

Back