One for the little lady????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2thumbsup

Reaction score
Any good recipe ideas for that special girl in my life, you know...the one that doesn't stray far from light commercial beers? I was thinking about doing a raspberry wheat or a fruity saison. Any other ideas and recipes that women find appealing?

I think I can hear "Just because I have breasts does not mean I want a wheat beer." in the distance.

My 1st question would be what does she specifically like to drink? If she likes fruity wheat beers or strawberry blondes no issue. My wife loves a super chocolaty stout/porter and has even been getting into hoppy beers as of late.

My best advice is to go get a mixed 12er of single bottles that are good examples of the style that you think she may like and some you think she will not. Let her decide what she likes then model a beer after that.

Besides Miller Lite, she likes lighter wheat beers with some adjunct fruit flavors, like Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Blue Moon. She's not quite "ready" for hoppy beers. Which is why I was leaning towards a wheat.

I'm about to bottle a dark hefe, we'll see how she likes that one.

BTW, love your quote line!!!

Saisons are usually a pretty big hit with my friends that usually stick to AALs. Something along the lines of Great Divide's Colette or Boulevard's Tank 7 should probably suffice.

Besides Miller Lite, she likes lighter wheat beers with some adjunct fruit flavors, like Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Blue Moon. She's not quite "ready" for hoppy beers. Which is why I was leaning towards a wheat.

I'm about to bottle a dark hefe, we'll see how she likes that one.

BTW, love your quote line!!!

If she likes blue moon, why not make a Blue Moon clone? That's what I'd do.

The important thing isn't that she's female, it's that she's used to light lager. I assume you don't want to make one of those--but maybe you do? Consider the possibility of making something that's very close to something she already likes, but with a little bit of difference.

Think about the flavors she likes in her food and the types of seasoning she chooses most often. Lager may not be the best match, so perhaps a pale ale using some of those flavors? Don't assume they have to be dessert flavors, either: I love Indian food, and I'd be over the moon if my guy decided to try a cumin-spiced ale for me.

Naturally you'll want to make a small test batch before giving it to her. But think bigger than the old wheat'n'fruit 'ladybeer' fallbacks.

A year ago I started teaching about beers to my lady.
Before that she only liked basic lagers.
Now she's a serious hophead like me and her favourite style is DIPA.
I should've thought that earlier - less good beer for me :)

The important thing isn't that she's female, it's that she's used to light lager.

I guess that is a point that I wanted to reiterate. I know we're all brewers here, but many of us are female and one of the things that is irksome are some of the questions about "girly beers" that a female might like.

That'd be like assuming that every guy we meet likes Guinness because it's dark, and hence masculine.

Women appreciate the efforts you go to to please them, I'm sure. But sometimes it's best to just ask them instead of assuming that they want a fruity wheat beer.

A kolsch is a good idea.

I would also suggest a Saison or a Belgian blond (like Revvy's Leffe clone, except add raspberry or cherry puree in the secondary).

Belgian blond ales are nice because you can brew them low in the IBUs, carb the heck out of 'em, and you can leave them with a nice residual sweetness that non-beer-loving folks can appreciate.

Two quick and easy brews that I do for my wife that seem to go over really well with her and others (both five-gallon extract):

Strawberry Blonde Ale: Use a Brewers Best American Light kit or something equivalent, brew as normal but when you bottle/keg add 4oz Strawberry Extract from LHBS.

Raspberry Wheat: Use 6lbs of Wheat DME, 1lb Crystal 10L (steep 20 mins), 2oz Hallertauer (Bitter - 60 minute boil) and WB-06 Dry Yeast. Ferment as is and when time to bottle/keg add 4oz Raspberry Extract from LHBS.

I guess that is a point that I wanted to reiterate. I know we're all brewers here, but many of us are female and one of the things that is irksome are some of the questions about "girly beers" that a female might like.
Remember, I'm asking on the behald of a specific woman, knowing what she likes and dislikes. I'm certainly not making any assumptions about all women. Even though, I'm guessing statistics would show over wehlmingly that most women prefer lighter fruity beer. Remember the old phrase "sugar and spice and all things nice...":D

I thought about the same thing for a while. Turns out she is a sucker for Double IPA. But then again she never liked the bmc standards. What we do now is everytime I get something either from growler station or local craft supplier she tries it then I have her tell me what she thinks. Describing it in her own way. Take notes and brew accordingly.

My wife loves my centennial SMASH. 14lbs pale 3 oz cent @ 60,15,1 i use notty and mash real low like 148ish then gelatin the keg at carb time. 40 psi for 2 days then down to serve. She calls it Highlife with class. lol

I designed my Strawberry Blonde (see recipe in my profile) to suite my wife's palate. It seems to be a hit with a number of folks besides her, too. She doesn't like much that she considers "bitter", which I am still trying to figure out exactly since it includes both IPAs (understandable) and Stouts (not as much, since she drinks tea all the #&$%$ time).

Back