One down. What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEP32

Reaction score
Hey all! Brand new member and home brewer. First batch was a White muscadine (Maybe carlos or scuppernong). It came out around 12% and drinkable so Im going to chalk that up as a win. Iv got the itch now. Unfortunately the vine in the backyard is exhausted now so was hoping for some new, beginner friendly recipes to try out. I know its a newbie thing to want, but anything that can be enjoyed fairly young would be awesome until I build up a little supply haha! Brewing small for now in gallon batches (one small primary bucket, and 2 glass fermenters/demi johns). I look forward to getting better and learning lots!

also sorry if there was a better place for this thread

-JP

Any "drinkable" wine is definitely a win(e)! Congratulations, and welcome to being a vintner.

For your next batch, ask yourself what you would like to drink. What flavor? Have you always wanted to drink [this non-grape flavored wine], but you can't buy it anywhere?

You can go out, and buy more grapes to use. You could also go out, and buy literally almost any fruit to use. Or mix them. Or try to make wine out of maple syrup. Or tea. Or oak leaves. Or flowers. Literally, the world is your oyster. One-gallon batches are great ways to experiment with new, unknown flavors. Then, if you like them, the next time you could make a larger batch.

The key question is: what kind of wine do you want to drink?

I have several easy recipes in our recipe database: Wine Recipes

Once the fruit harvest is over, you could try making wine from apple juice, or Welch's juices. I've done many of them quite successfully. It's also a great time of year for fresh apple juice and cider!

I would say im partial to fruit wines. And like flavors off the beaten path. Hence the excitement to be able to experiment. For tried and true I will definitely try out some of those recipes in the link! I know the local market had fresh rhubarb so maybe I will give that a go! Apple cider would be awesome to try as tis the season. Is there anything to be conscious of when fermenting concentrates/juices? Or does it go just like fresh fruit? My muscadine did come out just a touch thin feeling and “harsh” (im sure this is not the correct terminology). It is still very young and I also have a feeling I should have used a touch more grapes as our vine is a little more wild than “cultivated”. Thank you so much for the guidance!

-JP

Latest posts

Back