One batch, two pints, two different outcomes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftG40

Reaction score
So last night I poured my first Homebrew pint. It is a 5gal batch of Wherry Bitter, I bottled half & kegged the other half & had no problems during the whole process. Now last nights pint out of the keg was really nice, malt with a nice bitter after taste, a really good head and light/medium carbonation. A winner I thought...
Tonight I opened the first bottle & it just came out like fizzy cordial, no head whatsoever, not the same malt taste & a bit over carbonated for a bitter. I put 1/2 teaspoon of dextrose per 500ml bottle & the equivalent in the keg (2 1/4 gal)
I've been reading all night about possible causes which I can understand but I can't understand how this has happened to two pints of the same beer from the same batch.
The only things I can think is the first pint glass was dry out the cupboard & tonight's glass came straight out the dishwasher which I then rinsed. Other than that I'm puzzled, see photos below of what I mean

Sorry about the long post...

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422323754.211001.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422323775.682962.jpg

Does the bottled one taste carbonated? How long was it in the bottle?

Does the bottled one taste carbonated? How long was it in the bottle?

Yeah the bottled one is carbonated (even though it doesn't look it, it had the kind of fizz a medium lager would have), too much for a bitter really. I bottled & kegged on Jan 10th (Primary was definitely finished too). I'm wondering whether it just need longer to condition? Maybe give the bottles a little shake & rest for a few weeks?

Do you happen to use a rinse aid in your dishwasher? I've read that they'll leave a film on things that kills the head retention. That is one thought.

Yes I do have rinse aid, next time I will make sure I give the glass a good thorough clean with fresh water first. It came out of the bottle like it looks in the picture though so a head didn't even get a chance to form

Back