One armed brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubnserved

Reaction score
I know I can't be the only one who has had to brew with one arm. That being said does anyone have any recommendations for a simple extract brew with maybe a little grain bag for flavor/color? I need things simple enough for someone with the strength and stamina of a 90 year old asmatic being chased by a mountain lion. I do have this one but have never brewed it before. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/ It sounds good and has good reviews but i still need another.
I would like to be able to do two brews before the beginning of November, They will have to be safely kegged by the end of the first week of November because I will be laid up for some time after that reading HBT and drooling on myself over every one else's creations.

After Oct 20 , I too will only have one arm to use. Also not allowed to use the other arm for anything more strenuous than brushing my teeth, if I do it carefully, for a while.

I have 10 gallons bottled, five in a fermentor, and will do another 10 gallons this week. Will be about four months before I can brew again. A buddy and my wife will bottle the last 10 gallons for me.

This is a simple recipe with steeping grains. It is one of my 10 gallons worth.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/american-amber-ale-extract-kit.html

That one sounds good but no recipe for it... would prefer one with a short (read, less than an hour) boil time. Not sure how long I can stay on my feet... the longer I am on my feet the more focus i lose. Not just vision but the ability to stay focused on what i am doing.

You know you're a home brewer when the only thing that you want to do is make a brew even when you are all messed up.

That one sounds good but no recipe for it... would prefer one with a short (read, less than an hour) boil time. Not sure how long I can stay on my feet... the longer I am on my feet the more focus i lose. Not just vision but the ability to stay focused on what i am doing.

You know you're a home brewer when the only thing that you want to do is make a brew even when you are all messed up.

I only watch the boil pot until the foam subsides and I have the slow rolling boil. I may adjust the burner to get about the boil I want, then set the timer for an hour and go do other things. There is no need to stand and watch a boiliing pot.

I know I can't be the only one who has had to brew with one arm. That being said does anyone have any recommendations for a simple extract brew with maybe a little grain bag for flavor/color? I need things simple enough for someone with the strength and stamina of a 90 year old asmatic being chased by a mountain lion. I do have this one but have never brewed it before. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/ It sounds good and has good reviews but i still need another.

I would like to be able to do two brews before the beginning of November, They will have to be safely kegged by the end of the first week of November because I will be laid up for some time after that reading HBT and drooling on myself over every one else's creations.

I began brewing because I suffered a brain hemorrhage about six years ago that left me w/ very diminished use of my left arm( I'm left handed) & eliminated my hobbies at the time. Hence the name of my brewery!
I started w/ all grain one gallon kits given to me by my wife and kids. I quickly learned that they were too much work for such a small amount of beer.
Working w/ my LHBS I developed my initial setup that allowed me to do 3 gal batches. These volumes I could easily move using one hand and arm by using Better Bottles for 1° & 2° then kegging.
I've recently updated my system to six gal batches that I split into two 3 gal volumes for ferm & kegging. I did add a pump to facilitate moving mash & sparge water as well as allowing me to whirlpool & chill w/ a CFC.
I utilize handles on my BB's for easier handling and of course an Auto-Siphon is a must.
I've also added a ferm chamber that has two doors that open on the side. This reduces have to lift carboys more than 6-8 inches.
Good luck w/ your one armed brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yea I get that.... and i have brewr on my phone. Problem has been that when i do get tired i completely miss/ignore people standing next to me talking to me.
I never considered brewing strenuous but i have seen what happens when I go for a walk more than a few blocks.

Do you think you can get away with a 30-45 minute boil using extract since most usually dump the extract in at the last 15 minutes? I would say you could get away with 30 minute boils with extract. You just need to account for the shorter boil time and likely increase hops to get the IBUs you're looking for. Some say double the hops. So what kind of beer do you like and how many gallons will you brew? I'm happy to put a recipe together for you in beersmith.

Fortunately most of my injuries are temporary (hopefully ). So changing my setup isn't needed. I just need to reduce weights that i have to move and time that i have to stay standing and focused.

Here is a shorter brew time recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/15-minute-cascade-pale-ale-210253/

I didn't go back through the tread to see if this is one of your styles.
Yeah, his initial post mentioned that. I too nearly posted it. :)
Fortunately most of my injuries are temporary (hopefully ). So changing my setup isn't needed. I just need to reduce weights that i have to move and time that i have to stay standing and focused.

Right, but I meant, do you brew 5 gallons and what style of beer do you want? I can make a recipe but I needed to know how much you brewed so I could get it right.

I love doing Belgians and scotch. I just didn't want to get finished with the boil and find some candi the next day. I will have help moving stuff the first brew day but he has no experience.
Just for a little reference i have a brain injury (bleeding on the brain) nerve injury 4th cranial nerve) and a shoulder injury (tore all the tendons ) and have been laid up since June and i have no recollection of June and July, i missed my youngest sons graduation party and my 21st anniversary. I get the hardware removed from the shoulder at the beginning of November and will be laid up again for some time.
I always liked a wheat ale but have never made one and don't know how well something like that would turn out using extracts and short boil.

Yes i have that recipe and am probably going to make that on Sunday but i would still like another for the next brew day.
If you look back through my posts from June and July you will see that i was posting on here a few times. The only reason that I quit was that i was not getting emails from HBT and so i forgot about it..... this is why i am worried about doing a recipe that requires a dry hop... any suggestions on what to do instead for this recipe ? Or does someone know of a fermentation scheduler app?

After Oct 20 , I too will only have one arm to use. Also not allowed to use the other arm for anything more strenuous than brushing my teeth, if I do it carefully, for a while.

I have 10 gallons bottled, five in a fermentor, and will do another 10 gallons this week. Will be about four months before I can brew again. A buddy and my wife will bottle the last 10 gallons for me.

This is a simple recipe with steeping grains. It is one of my 10 gallons worth.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/american-amber-ale-extract-kit.html

At least you have something. ... i have been on empty since June. ... not that I remember anyway. I actually had to buy beer the other day when a friend came over and he wanted miller lite. :confused::confused:

Okay, so here's my shot at it.

ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 33
Est. OG: 1.063
Est. FG: 1.015
Boil time: 30 minutes
Batch Size: 5 gallons

5 pounds Pale Liquid Extract
4 pounds Wheat Liquid Extract
1 pound Caramel 20L
8 oz Honey Malt (I like this for a hint of honey and it is smooth)
2 oz Hallertauer at 30 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 5 minutes
Wyeast Labs 1010 (American Wheat Ale) or any suitable substitute.

Steep grains first, of course. Begin boil, add hops, at 15 minutes add your 2nd hop addition and your extracts. Doubling the hops was required to get the IBUs up. I read a little and this seemed to be the way to do it with a 30 minute boil.

The amount of water and such is something you'll want to figure out. Your boil off per hour is obviously going to be cut in half.

This may be worth doing or it may sound gross. :)

Actually sounds good. .. the honey in it reminded me of a beer i had years ago called jw dundee's honey brown probably been 20 years since I had that. Have you made something like this?

Ps thanks for the help everyone. .. keep them coming. I can see this hanging around for a while. I see i am not the only one trying to do this at less than full capacity.

I haven't made that one but I made an orange hefe that was semi close. Less wheat. I am thinking I may brew it just because.

Okay, so here's my shot at it.

ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 33
Est. OG: 1.063
Est. FG: 1.015
Boil time: 30 minutes
Batch Size: 5 gallons

5 pounds Pale Liquid Extract
4 pounds Wheat Liquid Extract
1 pound Caramel 20L
8 oz Honey Malt (I like this for a hint of honey and it is smooth)
2 oz Hallertauer at 30 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 5 minutes
Wyeast Labs 1010 (American Wheat Ale) or any suitable substitute.

Steep grains first, of course. Begin boil, add hops, at 15 minutes add your 2nd hop addition and your extracts. Doubling the hops was required to get the IBUs up. I read a little and this seemed to be the way to do it with a 30 minute boil.

The amount of water and such is something you'll want to figure out. Your boil off per hour is obviously going to be cut in half.

This may be worth doing or it may sound gross. :)

let me know if you brew it. Still looking for one more to brew.

I think I am going to do the 15 minute ale. Getting the stuff on Monday hopefully. Have to see if SWMBO will pick it up on her lunch since she won't let me drive. Cause I walk like this guy looks :drunk:

this is why i am worried about doing a recipe that requires a dry hop... any suggestions on what to do instead for this recipe ? Or does someone know of a fermentation scheduler app?

I have brew pal for my iPhone and it does set notes on your calendar on your phone of fermentation events. Might help you out with remembering steps and times. Also has mash and boil timers for adding hop additions and the like.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Any other recommendations? Was thinking about doing a hard lemonade since swmbo does not like beer. I saw one with lemonade and cranberry any thoughts? Or attempts? What has been your experience with something like this?
Doing this will also allow me to avoid the chance of nuking the bits and pieces with boiling wort. :eek:

Thanks everyone. ... never did get to brew, I ended up going to the hospital because of the pain in my shoulder. While I was there doc freaked out because I still don't see things right and I was apparently stumbling like this guy:drunk:. Apparently it is supposed to be all normal by now. Anyway now I get the plate in my shoulder removed a few weeks early and get to go to rehab hospital for a while. .. so now I need a beer that will finish quickly. My oldest is back in the states and will be home for new years. My youngest said that he will come over to help brew so if anyone has suggestions for a quick finishing brew.
He will want to hang with his friends while he is home i just want to make sure that we get to spend as much time as possible with him while he is on leave. He was one of the Marines on the helo that crashed of the back of M esa V erde a few weeks back. But he is not allowed to talk about it so we don't know exactly what happened, not that I would remember anything anyway

Sorry if confusing having a crappie day. Bettr run wife is coming to pick me up for another Dr app today. Could always be worse I could be that guy. I figure I should be able to brew in 3 weeks maybe.

Woohooo. Surgery this afternoon. I feel so much better may finally get my brewing started! And finished. Have decided on a cider for the swmbo, the 15 min pale for Sony and his friends and a Belgian golden for after the holidays. Having trouble with the memory still. ... did someone post a spiced cider some where? :ban: :ban: :ban:

That is my winter brewing conga line or my line dancing b!+<#=$. I have not decided which.

That should say son. Coming home on leave for new years after being in the middle east for most of the year. Got back in the states last week and will do another tour in the spring.

Back