Once had Acetobacter. Now I have great head retention/lacing. Correlation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylander0

Reaction score
So for the longest time I was under the belief that all I need to do was run some Star-san through my CFC prior to using to only running hot water through it to clean it afterward. Once in a while I would pump PBW through it to give it a deep clean.

After my first competition (LHBS choose the receipt of a Blonde Ale) my results came back with vinegar, pickles, along with DMS. The DMS could have been a result of the contamination but 94% 2-row grain bill shouldn’t of needed a 90 minute boil.

So my hypothesis was that since I believe it was Acetobacter which requires O2 to be present the problem lies between the boil kettle and the fermenter. My glass carboy cleaning is rigorous but my CFC and O2 stone wasn’t.

The change was to boil my O2 stone and also recirculate last 15min of the boil through my CFC to sanitize and for good measure clean with PBW every time. I know, I should have been doing this since day one.

For the test I brewed the same Blonde ale except did a 90 minute boil and used US-05 yeast instead of the WL Pacific ale yeast. 2 weeks I racked it from the fermenter into a keg to finish up at room temp (at the same time force carbed).

The result was a beer with much better head retention and very good lacing which was non-existent before. My wife noted the beer was not “sour” like the first one. I noticed there was some green apple and what seemed to faintly smell like DMS. 2 week after the brew day I will assume the off-flavor is from acetaldehyde. It is sitting in the keg at room temp for a couple more weeks to finish up and I will taste again.
I am new at detecting off-flavors obviously so it will need to be confirmed someone more experienced.

I should also note, prior to testing my changes against this Blonde Ale, I brewed a session IPA (NB Kara Citra recipe) using the new sanitization routine. The lacing and head retention is fantastic! Tastes great with good hop character and great malt backbone.

As with most home brewers our beers are like our children and it is difficult to “taste” their faults.

Which brings me to my question: Assuming for a moment my taste buds flat out lie to me, can I use the presents of the lacing and head retention as evidence that I got rid of the Acetobacter contamination?

It doesnt entirely rule it out, but a strong factor in having a good head retention is having a good fermentation with non stressed yeast. Though i have seen beers that were infected with brett/wild yeast have a a huge head, in general infected beers do not in my experience.

Really, its weather or not you taste vinegar.

giraffe thanks for the reply. The certainly provides some incite. From what I can tell there is no evidence of a vinegar taste.

I will report back after it is finished conditioning next week.

Back