On Cloning Bissell Brothers Swish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just listened to the session podcast with Noah from bissell brothers. He said he uses A-72 American Microbrewery Ale or wyeast 1272 in all his beers. I will have to try this yeast next clone brew.

I heard Noah and Hester on The Session too. He did say they changed up their yeasts a few years ago. I know the homebrew recipe Noah provided for The Substance called for 1056, but I'll have to brew this again with 1272. I think I'm going to try with WLP075 too.

First post but I think a goodie...I brewed the recipe posted here that was tweaked by Noah and won the local Iron Brewer competition with it! Mad Chef Craft Brewery is going to do it on their 7 barrel system!

Per it being a clone...I had the real thing a few times in Portland last week and it's very close but that hint of scallion in the aroma and taste of this recipe is stronger in the real thing. I'm thinking maybe 1/4 oz of Summit in the 10 min addition or 1/2 ounce in the post-boil steep. Second, BBB's beer feels much drier than mine. For that I'm thinking maybe back off the grain a bit and replace it with dextrose or use a more aggressive yeast than Conan at a low temperature. And don't skimp on the carbonation! The real thing is pretty fizzy for a NEIPA. Finally, a brewer at BBB said it's 21 days from kettle to can.

Now the fun part...if you drink it from the can the scallion/green onion is very prominent. If you pour it into a glass it's significantly less noticable. :)

Bottom line, this beer is very close to the real thing and now an award winning beer! :)

Last edited:
To follow up my previous post, I did add 1/4 of Apollo to the steep, took off a pound of grain and added a 1/4 of corn sugar and several friends and myself did side-by-sides with the fresh real thing and all agreed that it and Swish were the same beer. Love it! Now onto Liquid Riot's NSFW. ;)

I just brewed this recipe last weekend. I used all cryo hops in the Whirlpool , I used a Hop Spider for the hops however the beer has taken on quite a Bit of green color. Can I expect this to drop. Out during the cold crash or should I filter when transferring to my keg. See photo. Mark.
20190105_143322.jpeg

I just brewed this recipe last weekend. I used all cryo hops in the Whirlpool , I used a Hop Spider for the hops however the beer has taken on quite a Bit of green color. Can I expect this to drop. Out during the cold crash or should I filter when transferring to my keg. See photo. Mark. View attachment 606205

That’s just yummy saturated hop flavor. When Treehouse brewed Green for the first time they said because of the amount of hops they used it turned the wort green, hence the name, Green. You’re good to go bro.

Hey, all.

FruityHops sent me a msg the other day, but I'm still catching up from HomebrewCon2016 and just responded today and then see this thread. Anyway, I got the recipe for this directly from Noah Bissell. Here is what I put together based on what he told me.

OG:1.070
-1.074​
Fermentables​
15lbs Golden Promise malt(75%)​
2lbs American 2-row(10%)​
2lbs Flaked wheat(10%)​
1lbs dextrose(5%)​
Hops​
-10min - .25oz Apollo​
-10min - 1oz Mosaic​
-10min - 1oz Simcoe​
Flameout - 3oz Citra(30min hotstand/whirlpool)​
Flameout - 3oz Mosaic(30min hotstand/whirlpool)​
Flameout - 1oz Simcoe(30min hotstand/whirlpool)​
Dryhop 1 - 1oz Apollo​
Dryhop 1 - 1oz Citra​
Dryhop 1 - 1oz Mosaic​
Dryhop 1 - 1oz Simcoe​
Dryhop 2 - 2oz Mosaic​
Dryhop 2 - 2oz Citra​
Dryhop 2 - 1oz Simcoe​
Yeast​
Wyeast 1056 American Ale or Conan​
Mash at 151°, be sure to have a mash PH of 5.2​
Boil for 75min​
After dry hop, cold crash to about 35° and let settle for a few days to week.​

I've made this recipe twice now and it's been excellent both times. First time I made it with Conan yeast. The second time with White Labs Hansen Ale yeast(from the Yeast Vault.) We liked the Hansen one a bit better. Leave time for the dry hop and yeast to settle at cold temps. You can see pics and reviews of my Hansen batch here Cindy Swishes - Cat3Brewing - Untappd

When I plug in that recipe to beersmith assuming your mash volume of 8.5 gal, boil of 6 gal, and final of 5 I get an OG of 1.112

does anybody else get this result? is this the correct grainbill to use for this size recipe?

When I plug in that recipe to beersmith assuming your mash volume of 8.5 gal, boil of 6 gal, and final of 5 I get an OG of 1.112

does anybody else get this result? is this the correct grainbill to use for this size recipe?

It’s definitely too much grain or a crazy low efficiency. I use brewers friend. I got to 1.076 with a 8.5 gallon pre boil, 7.2 gallon post

I couldn’t get to 1.072 without reducing efficiency significantly

But neither of those is 1.112
I’d just reduce the GP accordingly

Back