Omega yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnmurphy4250

Reaction score
Wondering what your thoughts are on Omega yeast. Ever try it? How'd it work for you? I have used it several times and still on the fence.

I've used their 1056 equivalent as well as their 1098 equivalent. My beers that I've used the West Coast ale on have come out very well - in clarity, attenuation, and flavor. I live in suburban Chicago and the owner of Omega tries to be active in the homebrewing scene, so I like to buy local in this case.

I've used the British Ale I twice. Both in stouts. One was in an Oatmeal Cream (lactose) stout, and another was just today in a Breakfast Stout. Both of these beers have had super low lag times (2-3 hours) between pitching and airlock activity, but I did use a starter with both. Today's beer was a 1090 OG. I wasn't too sure of the cell count so I did a 2 day 1.5L starter + 1 package. We'll see how it works out.

All in all though, I've been pretty pleased with the Omega yeast I've bought. I use it in my house IPA quite often, otherwise if I'm short on time I just pitch a satchet of US-05. The beers always come out good.

Not sure what else to say, but like any yeast, if you treat it right it will do right by you.

Glad to see this post. LHBS recommended Omega since it's local, and stated that the pitch count is at 150 billion. Sounded good to me.

I'm brewing this weekend, and I'll post back with any pros or cons when it's done.

ive used their Conan yeast, their brett blend #2, and their saisonstein's monster and all were great

Ive used the OYL-004 (West Coast Ale I) and the OYL-500 (Saisonstein's Monster)
Both have resulted in some of the best beers I have made to date and they are now my house strands for their respective styles.

OYL-500 is a beast. quick, high attenuation like 3711 but with much more Belgian style esters from the Belgian strain used in the hybrid.

Their owner and workers are very active in the local hb scene as well and have made many local loyal fans!

Their lacto blend is supposed to be the stuff but i have not used it. yet.

You guys who've used OYL-028 have any tips - Mine didn't seem to get going in starter... had it in there nearly a week

batch 423/76

I've throw it in the carboy but have a feeling it's a losing proposition

IDEAS?

Back