Omega Sundew - Incapable of Producing Phenolics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Sunday, I brewed an old school West Coast-ish IPA - aiming for dry and bitter. Used Chinook and Jarrylo hops. But the experimental piece of this was trying Omega's new Sundew yeast strain. It is a part of what they call a POF- project. You can read about it here.
1610550777432.png

Anyone have anything to report on this yeast? I'll let you know how my beer turns out.

Here's my recipe info:

OG: 1.060
Bitterness: 98 IBU
Color: 7 SRM

Mash at 150F for 60 mins. Cooler mash tun, single infusion, batch sparge. Added 8 ml of lactic acid to the mash.

Grain Bill
10 lbs Pale Malt 3 L
2 lbs Munich 10L
1/2 lb Caramel 20L

Hop Schedule
1 oz Chinook (13% AA) @ 60 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 15 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 10 mins
1 oz Jarrylo (13% AA) @ 10 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 5 mins
1 oz Jarrylo @ 5 mins

Whirlfloc added @ 10 mins

Pitched the Omega Sundew yeast after chilling the wort to 62F. Also pitched White Labs Clarity Ferm. Currently fermenting at 65F.

Will dry hop with both Chinook and Jarrylo.

I’ve seen these recently and have been very interested in bananaza for a dark beer to see if the banana esters really come through. If it’s as claimed I think it will make for very insteresting stouts and ambers

I just kegged my first brew with Sundew. I somehow milled 2# more grain than I planned and my OG was 1.083! Finished at 1.010. 1 ounce of Citra for 30 minutes, 3 oz of Rakau and 2 oz Huell Melon at WP. DH with another 3 and 2 of Rakau and HM. I'll try it out in a few days.

On Sunday, I brewed an old school West Coast-ish IPA - aiming for dry and bitter. Used Chinook and Jarrylo hops. But the experimental piece of this was trying Omega's new Sundew yeast strain. It is a part of what they call a POF- project. You can read about it here.
View attachment 714160
Anyone have anything to report on this yeast? I'll let you know how my beer turns out.

Here's my recipe info:

OG: 1.060
Bitterness: 98 IBU
Color: 7 SRM

Mash at 150F for 60 mins. Cooler mash tun, single infusion, batch sparge. Added 8 ml of lactic acid to the mash.

Grain Bill
10 lbs Pale Malt 3 L
2 lbs Munich 10L
1/2 lb Caramel 20L

Hop Schedule
1 oz Chinook (13% AA) @ 60 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 15 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 10 mins
1 oz Jarrylo (13% AA) @ 10 mins
1 oz Chinook @ 5 mins
1 oz Jarrylo @ 5 mins

Whirlfloc added @ 10 mins

Pitched the Omega Sundew yeast after chilling the wort to 62F. Also pitched White Labs Clarity Ferm. Currently fermenting at 65F.

Will dry hop with both Chinook and Jarrylo.
Any updates on how this turned out? I'm currently fermenting a hazy IPA at 66 degrees with a mix of verdant yeast and sundew. Curious if you got any of the flavor notes Omega claims it makes. Thanks

I just kegged my first brew with Sundew. I somehow milled 2# more grain than I planned and my OG was 1.083! Finished at 1.010. 1 ounce of Citra for 30 minutes, 3 oz of Rakau and 2 oz Huell Melon at WP. DH with another 3 and 2 of Rakau and HM. I'll try it out in a few days.

What was the original volume? 6.5 gallons? If so, dilute with 2.49 gallons of water to adjust the gravity from 1.083 to 1.060. Of course, this doesn't help with the hops boiled in the higher gravity.

What was the original volume? 6.5 gallons? If so, dilute with 2.49 gallons of water to adjust the gravity from 1.083 to 1.060. Of course, this doesn't help with the hops boiled in the higher gravity.

It wouldn't have fit in my keg if I did that! No big deal, I prefer big beers! Anyway, the keg is dead. The yeast had a nice flavor but it wasn't as "berry pronounced" as I was expecting. Still, it was a nice yeast.

Back