Kölsch Omega Lutra Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega Lutra
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.22 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10
Tasting Notes
Very crisp and kolschy. Awesome lawn mower beer
Hey all! I found exactly where Omega Lutra belongs and it’s in a kolsch! Key notes here are to use 4.4 grams yeast nutrient per 5.5 gallons wort, ferment at 68F, and give this a good 7-10 days in primary for the yeast to settle out. If this is rushed it will have a grape concentrate flavor from the yeast. Also this needs to be filtered or fined with gelatin. The yeast must settle out or it will be a touch on the fruity side. This was fined with gelatin 4 days ago and has been in the kegerator for right at 7 days total. All malts are Bestmalz and I used the Pilsen water profile from Bruin water. The water is reverse osmosis (built up to the Pilsen profile in Bruin water) and I threw in whirlfloc/yeast nutrient at 10 min. This is extremely crisp and very enjoyable!
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy!

Mash ph was 5.25 (lowered with lactic acid)

Title: Lutra Kolsch

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Kölsch
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.94%
IBU (tinseth): 25.59
SRM (morey): 3.22
Mash pH: 5.89

FERMENTABLES:
8.25 lb - BEST Heidelberg (84.6%)
0.5 lb - BEST Vienna (5.1%)
0.5 lb - BEST Wheat Malt (5.1%)
0.5 lb - BEST Munich (5.1%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: First Wort, IBU: 8.01
0.5 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 9.62
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.62
0.5 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.34

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.66 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 5.66 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Omega Yeast Labs - Lutra Kveik OYL-071

Attachments

• E7BADBB0-58B0-4822-8B0F-D2434CC222DD.jpeg
    E7BADBB0-58B0-4822-8B0F-D2434CC222DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
And the musky grape is showing it's face again. So yes I can say that this is not a clean yeast, or even close to it. It's definitely a crisp yeast, but, the fruitiness is still there. This definitely works better as a 30ibu and up yeast than something meant as a blonde or light lager/ale. A hoppy pilsner would fit this bill, but, I would not be able to push this if I were running a brewery. The recipe, minus the yeast, is a darn good recipe! So much so this is getting rebrewed in 2 weeks using Imperial G-03 frozen slurry and then again using frozen Koln Kolsch slurry. Just wanted to put in the most recent experience. Will let it "lager" for a few weeks and try again.

And it’s gone again lol Guess it needed some cold conditioning after all! This was well received at the Highland games this weekend. Have an Imperial G03 starter on the stir plate now. Rebrewing this recipe. The pipers couldn’t get enough and the keyword they used to describe this was “smooth”. Would definitely rebrew with Lutra if given the chance. This is right up Lutras alley if there ever was one imo

I rebrewed this with Imperial G03 (supposedly WLP029) and fermented at 60F with a 2 liter starter. Gave it 72 hours at 60F then let free rise to 68F. It was in primary for 14 days or so. This was way more enjoyable than the Lutra yeast. Much MUCH MUCH cleaner to boot. I'm just not a fan of Lutra in the homebrewery. This could actually be passable for a lager and much more so than Lutra has been. Try the above recipe with Imperial G03. It's very crushable :)

I'm trying Lutra in a hoppy Pils I'm brewing today! Going to ferment at 70.

My go-to when I started brewing my Kolsch was Imperial G03, but I got away from it. I get great results from Wyeast 2565. I like the slightly spicy flavor I get with 2565. I'm going to give G03 a whirl again asap, as my process is MUCH better than it was a few years back.

Back