Omega Brett Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allouez86

Reaction score
Currently brewing my go to American Pale Ale and am planning on fermenting it with Omega Bring On Da Funk blend instead of my typical wlp001 for this beer. According to Omega, there are 5 different brett strains in this blend and it should produce a fruity, funky and complex brew with acid produced over time with exposure to oxygen.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with any of Omega's brett blends. I'm guessing that I'll be letting this ferment for about 3-4 months to get the profile I'm looking for, but who knows?

Here's the recipe:
OG: 1.048
IBUs: 44
SRM: 4.8
Boil: 60 minutes
Yeast: Omega Bring on da funk
Ferm temp: pitch at 68 then rise over the next few days to 76 and let it ride til completion.

Briess Pale Ale Malt: 87%
Briess Flaked Oats: 13%
18 IBU Columbus @ 60 minutes
.5oz Cascade @ 10 minutes
1oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
.5oz Chinook @5 minutes
1oz Cascade Whirlpool
.5oz Chinook Whirlpool
3oz Cascade dry hop 6 days
1oz Chinook dry hop 6 days

Let me know how you make out. I just got some of this in the mail two days ago with plans to do a saison. I recently used the yeast bay's "amalgamation" brett blend in a saison that turned out to be one of my best to date. Tons of fruity funk going on and I'll probably use the harvested yeast in an ipa. I'll probably do the same with the omega yeast brett blend as well.

I haven't used any of their stuff yet, but I do have a packet of this one (brett blend 3 aka Bring on Da Funk) waiting. I plan on using it in my next beer, which I'm thinking of doing as a dry hopped saison and pitching some lacto B for the first couple days. I'll update in a few months.

I did a similar recipe with Bring On Da Funk. My typical pale ale recipe but with the blend instead of wlp001. It's about a month and a half old and fermenting at about 70F. So far the smell is your typical brett funk with some fruit notes as well. The taste is basically the same but muted. Probably will sample this again at 90 days and go from there. No signs of acidity at this point, not that I was expecting any at 6 weeks.

I haven't tried Omega blend but I've got ECY Dirty Dozen blend going now. It's still young so not a lot of funk or acid yet, but it's super fruity and smells strongly of strawberries.

Hey there, old post, but I'm looking for input on this yeast. I made the Cottage House Saison recipe on here last weekend, split the batch, and put half on the Bring on da Funk yeast. I'm looking for opinions on length in the fermenter, and length in the bottle. How'd your guys stuff turn out? I have mine sitting at about 70 degrees right now, bubbling away.
Thanks, George

Back