Omaha Steaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got this mail offer today from Omaha Steaks:

4 (5oz) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz) Top Sirloins
4 (4oz) Boneless Pork Chops
2 (4-1/2oz) Stuffed SOle with Scallops & Crabmeat
8 (3oz) Gourmet Franks
4 (4oz) Omaha Steaks Burgers
10 Potatoes au Gratin
Plus ... Free 6-Piece Cutlery Set
Plus ... 6 Free Omaha Steaks Burgers

$49.99+$16.99 shipping and handling
$66.98 total

Sounds like a lot of stuff for a good price.
Anyone order from them before?
Any good?

Yummm! Steak and Beer . . . :D

I have heard good things... but I have never had thier stuff.

I just vaccuum sealed up 8 pounds of chuck this morning, but I am seriously lacking steaks.

Got this mail offer today from Omaha Steaks:

4 (5oz) Filet Mignons
4 (5oz) Top Sirloins
4 (4oz) Boneless Pork Chops
2 (4-1/2oz) Stuffed SOle with Scallops & Crabmeat
8 (3oz) Gourmet Franks
4 (4oz) Omaha Steaks Burgers
10 Potatoes au Gratin
Plus ... Free 6-Piece Cutlery Set
Plus ... 6 Free Omaha Steaks Burgers

$49.99+$16.99 shipping and handling
$66.98 total

Sounds like a lot of stuff for a good price.
Anyone order from them before?
Any good?

Yummm! Steak and Beer . . . :D

I'm just finishing up mine now - same order as you have listed above. The cutlery set absolutely blows but the food is excellent. They are going to try to up-sell you for 4 fillet mignon's for 19.99 when you call - I bit and it was well worth it.

Edit - This is a little different then what I ordered upon second glance. Mine was priced around $50 without the fillets and it came with 4 twice baked potatoes instead of the au gratin. Similar price as I added on the fillets to my order

Care sharing the coupon code? I would definitely re-order this.

The steaks were good, but the sole and potatoes were just ok. Still, with the coupon it is a decent deal.
I'm pretty spoiled for food here in the Bay area though.

I have heard that the meat is not great quality for the money and that they're popular due to marketing. I have no personal experience. Also heard a scary story or two regarding food safety/inspection from people who say they worked there (selling lots of meat that should have been disposed of). Again, not verifiable by me, but they didn't have an obvious reason to lie about it.

Care sharing the coupon code? I would definitely re-order this.
Just placed an order. The code was DA9110, but they didn't even ask for it, only the Selection Number (7819BCV). Tacked on 6 more of the filet mignons for 30 bucks with no additional shipping or handling.

Between Saturday and Sunday I put over 30 hours in the shop getting an order out for today.
Figure I deserve a treat. Hope this is worth it. :cross:

Edit:
AHHHHHH!!!!
Type too slow . . .
Should have read the above post first :(

Edit2:
Just got the email conformation. Those 6 extra were 5oz bacon wrapped filets.
Hope yermej is wrong, all this food talk is making me hungry.

A perfect gift idea IMO. Ordered from them once and although ok/good I could have easily just went to the supermarket and brought about the same thing. But like I said a perfect gift idea.
As far as the cutlery goes what did you expect? A fine set of expensive cutlery? I still have mine and they have their uses even if it sometimes household and they will cut meat and last a few years. Again, what do you expect? I guess the only other option was to not include knives.

******WARNING****** Once you buy from them you will have enough junk mail to heat your home all winter. I think I had to write them to stop it.

Just placed an order. The code was DA9110, but they didn't even ask for it, only the Selection Number (7819BCV). Tacked on 6 more of the filet mignons for 30 bucks with no additional shipping or handling.

Between Saturday and Sunday I put over 30 hours in the shop getting an order out for today.
Figure I deserve a treat. Hope this is worth it. :cross:

Edit:
AHHHHHH!!!!
Type too slow . . .
Should have read the above post first>

You also get a nice styrofoam cooler with it that came in handy a couple times.

I have ordered from them quite a few times and really enjoy the food. The steaks and stuff chicken are great. I will agree that they are expensive and probably not worth it at full price but I think it is good when you find a deal.

The hospital my wife delivered my second son at provides a gift certificate to Omaha steaks for your "Bring the baby home first meal". They only offered a few selections but, did cover overnight shipping.

We got the 8 steak burger and 6 NY Strip combo.

Only one word to describe,

Yummo!

The steaks are good, but I have to say I'm a huge fan of the burgers and hot dogs. The hot dogs might be the best I have ever had, and the burgers kick ass too. SWMBO and I use our coke rewards points on gift certificates to Omaha Steaks.

The steaks were good, but the sole and potatoes were just ok. Still, with the coupon it is a decent deal.
I'm pretty spoiled for food here in the Bay area though.

My dad buys from them all the time, and we just sampled that particular offering when I last visited him. The sole was ok, my son liked it alot. The steaks were wonderful, and my dad really likes the burgers and hot dogs. The potatoes were just "filler" to fill out the order a bit, as it was barely ok. Just frozen mashed potatoes in the shell, that you baked in the oven. I thought they were twice baked, but they might have been "au gratin". Not very good, but not throw away bad, either.

You're getting 70 ounces of meat, with the hot dogs (24 ounces) (some like them, but I didn't count that in my "meat" total) and burgers (40 ounces) added to it, for a total of $67.

So, about 4 pounds of steaks/chops/fish and 2.5 pounds of burgers, and the hot dogs.

They are excellent, no doubt about it, but when you think of the price per pound, it's not a very good deal.

My dad likes those packages because he lives alone and has a decent sized freezer. He can easily get one steak out at a time, and cook it on the gas grill for himself. No waste (they are well-trimmed) and no freezer burn at all.

They are excellent, no doubt about it, but when you think of the price per pound, it's not a very good deal.
I thought it was a good deal. You can tell I don't do the food shopping in this house. My thought was that one night out at a brewpub with drinks and food will always go over that $67. So, if we stay home, grill and drink homebrew I'm saving money. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I thought it was a good deal. You can tell I don't do the food shopping in this house. My thought was that one night out at a brewpub with drinks and food will always go over that $67. So, if we stay home, grill and drink homebrew I'm saving money. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

That's kinda flawed logic though - comparing Omaha steaks that you cook at home to a night out a steak house. I would more compare to you local grocery store's nicest cut of steak that you'll cook at home.

But, I agree -- a night at home with home-grilled steaks (whatever the source) and homebrew beats a steak house any day! heck, get a hunting license and shoot yourself a deer or elk and really have a home feast! :mug:

I can go to my local butcher and get great, fresh meats for much less than OS. I mean, for $10/lb... I can get some freaking AWESOME meats. Heck, I can get 100lbs for $450 processed into steaks, ribs, roasts and ground beef... delivered!

OS has its niche, but I aint buyin' it.

I can go to my local butcher and get great, fresh meats for much less than OS. . . OS has its niche, but I aint buyin' it.
And we have a great butcher right down the road. Didn't even think of that.

Damn, suckered by advertising again. I'll blame it on being sleep deprived. I need some kind of brain fatigue lock-out on my credit card. Like those coordination key pads that keep you from driving drunk.

Every once in a while Omaha steaks gets overstocked and has a warehouse sale, one year I picked up 2 72-patty restaurant packs of hamburger patties for like $30 total. It's been a few years though.

I agree that you can get just as good a cut of meat from a good butcher for less.

Their regular prices are way over priced. Their "deals" are reasonable but not a great value. However I have no complaints about the quality. Nearly everything I've had from them is good. The potatoes may not match up to fresh made however they are very good compared to other heat and eat potatoes.

Craig

. . . Their "deals" are reasonable but not a great value. However I have no complaints about the quality. . .
Neighbor brought over some garden fresh asparagus. Wife sautéed up some onions, mushrooms and potatoes. I grilled a couple of the Omaha bacon wrapped filet mignons. That and a few pints of my second generation Imperial Black Ale. It just doesn’t get any better. (Well it just might, I’m off to bed.)

Good night guys :drunk:

We've ordered from them a few times. It's decent and affordable, but I'd rather buy a whole ribeye from Costco and cut some big, thick steaks from that. It's cheaper and better. Mostly, I just like to play with the dry ice that Omaha Steaks uses to keep the orders frozen.

I've had their meat a few times. Guess what? Its frozen meat. Freezing a good steak ruins the texture. The cuts of meat were great, but you just cant get away from the fact that it is frozen.

I've had their beef tenderloin before and I was not impressed. But I may be a bit spoiled. My brother works for a grain elevator and consequently has lots of farmer friends, many of whom raise beef cattle. Twice a year I get anywhere from a 1/8 to a 1/4 steer, various cuts (steaks, burger, roast, etc.) All corn fed, locally raised, black angus. YUM!

Like I said earlier in this thread; they make a great gift. I would be happy getting one of those delivered to me as a gift but not too keen on it as a purchase.

Back