Olfrygt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
According to my moms ripleys believe or not calendar, olfrygt is a dutch word expressing fear at being unable to find a beer while travelling.

I need to figure out how to pronounce it.

looks like it mightbe pronouced "ole fright", maybe translates to "ale fright"?

Good job!

Found this with an Urban Dictionary

Olfrygt 37 up, 2 down love it hate it
get this def on a mug Mug
Danish word describing the fear that arrives when you are out of town and unable to find a place to get a beer.
Literally means Ale-Fright. It is originally spelled Ølfrygt.
We should never have gone to Utah, there are no pubs within a hundred miles, and starting to get some serious olfrygt here...

I feel that everytime I walk into a bar for the first time....Except it's ammended to mean, "fear at being unable to find a non bmc beer while travelling, or going to any place other than a brewpub, bar with a decent micro selection, your own fridge or a fellow beersnob/homebrewer's place." :D

There has to be a sister word for this. A word that describes the relief you feel when you walk into a pub and see that they have Old Thumper on tap, and the Olfrygt leaves you.

I propose Tremblyknee as the antidote word to Olfrygt.

Earl-frigged.

Earl as in the name (curl, hurl, pearl etc). The Scandinavian 'y' is a little hard to pronounce for English speakers. Round out your mouth like you're saying 'oooh' and then say 'eee'.

Once you've got the general pronunciation down, say it again with a mouthful of marbles, and that'll come close to the original Danish.

The equivalent in Norwegian is 'ølfrykt'.

Latest posts

Back