Old Timer Sayings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one from my old man:

There's more than one way to skin a cat other than stuffing it with butter.

I never really get that one.

Day's saying...you can wish in one hand and **** in the other, see which one gets filled first.

Also...I didn't raise them(his kids) to keep them

You're so old, when God said let there be light, you threw the main breakers!

You can't make butter, if you don't churn the milk.

Waste not, want not!

This thread is pure gold

"Sweating like a pregnant nun in a confessional" - Pretty self explanatory

"Built like a brick ****house" - Used to describe anything durable

"Can't see it from my house" - It's not exactly right, but I don't care enough to make it right.

My grandmother from up-country South Carolina used the word "haint" instead of "ghost"

Or referring to having sex as "getting some mouse ear"??????

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

300px-Vacanti_mouse.jpg

Others:

Slower than molasses in January.

Sweating like a fat kid in church with diarrhea.

Up **** creek without a paddle.

I we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs if we had some eggs.

I believe that raccoon is cross eyed

No idea what it means but I love to say it at random moments

It's a real conversation stopper

"Dont rob Peter to pay Paul. Cause Peter will get sore and you cant work with a sore PETER" ;)

"That boy couldnt find his way out of a wet paper bag with a map and flash light"

"Cut it, fit it, screw it and glue it before it changes cause it will"

"The definition of experience is the abilty to immediately identify a mistake once you made it again" aka you f***ed up again.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

"Next time you see (insert name here) grab 'em by the shorthairs and bring 'em over here"

"She's so ugly she'd make a freight train take a dirt road"

"He's crazier than a sh_thouse rat"

"She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet"

Like my grandad always said.... "If you can't get to work on time... just get there whenever you can."

My FIL has some great sayings when he gets up to go to the bathroom...

"Excuse me while I shake the dew from my lily."
"I need to go talk to a man about a horse."
"Need to do some work for the phone company...lay some cable." (for #2...my wife HATES that one but I think it's hilarious)

He's a big guy. We went to the bakery last week and the guy behind the counter asked if we wanted some doughnuts. My FIL's response was "Does a fat baby fart? Hell yeah I want some doughnuts!"

My wife's stepdad is pretty handy, but not a perfectionist. Whenever we build something and it's a little off, he shrugs and says "well...we're not building a watch."

When it's sunny and raining at the same time, my wife's whole family says "the devil is beating his wife."

One I still use, but the young guys never seem to understand: "It's no step for a stepper."
One of my favorites is: "Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you."

An old co-worker used to say "Good enough for the kind of girls I go out with," when we'd finish a job, especially if it was an easy job that didn't take a whole lot of planning/effort. Later when I started to earn a little respect around there, he started switching it to "well, that's good enough for the kind of girls YOU go out with."

After a slipped wrench in the winter "**** FAR!!!" or "fire" (the realize your son is helping don't miss a beat and say "it saves matches":D

Hotter than two rats F(ferociously partaking in coitus)ing in a wool sock behind a wood stove.

If I don't see ya for mating season go ahead and frack yourself man!

Back