Old Tank - Is it CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might as well use up the gas that is in there.

The CO2 already in the tank doesn't know or care that the tank needs to be recertified. That's a pretty big tank; you might never need to refill it -- kinda like the almost-full oxygen cylinder in my garage since the 90's.

You might as well use up the gas that is in there.

The CO2 already in the tank doesn't know or care that the tank needs to be recertified. That's a pretty big tank; you might never need to refill it -- kinda like the almost-full oxygen cylinder in my garage since the 90's.

Agreed!

Oh yeah I'm going use what I have first. I don't have money to be wasting good CO2

Do you plan on ever making it back up to Chicago at all or are you done with us? If you are ever up here, I know a place that pretty much exchanges 20lb tanks, no questions asked.

Do you plan on ever making it back up to Chicago at all or are you done with us? If you are ever up here, I know a place that pretty much exchanges 20lb tanks, no questions asked.

I'll be up there in a couple of weeks actually. If I can't find a place to take it here, I'll bring it with me to Chicago. What's the place you're referring to?

Argon beer would be kinda weird but I don't think it would kill you.

Wouldn't Hydrogen also float a balloon?
Another question...does it burn?

Oooops, a tad late with my response!

Wouldn't Hydrogen also float a balloon?
Another question...does it burn?

Oooops, a tad late with my response!

Yes and yes. Out of the three gases I originally considered after learning the intended purpose of my regulator, I ruled out Hydrogen as a possibility. At this point, I'm almost positive the previous owner used it for CO2. Also, whereas hydrogen is lighter than air, flammable, and non-odorous, it doesn't liquefy at higher pressures so it can't be that. That only leaves me with a couple of options and I'm highly confident it's CO2.

Latest posts

Back