Old Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHoppyJoyJoy

Reaction score
I think I already know the answer I'll get, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have a buddy coming over to brew this morning. He's been sitting on some ingredients for about 2 years.

The hops he has, (vacuum sealed) have not been refrigerated as far as I know.

Worth a try to use them, or not?

Hoppy

They should be perfectly fine, but you will have to adjust your amount to meet your desired IBU's. Vac sealed 24 month old hops will loose from 20-50%
Beersmith has a free trial and has the hop age calculater built in.

Edit: Did not catch the not refrigerated part, find out for sure how they have been stored. Freezer they should be fine, fridge probably not, room temp :eek:

Whole loses more than pellet. From what I hear and read from the last BYO, some people actually age hops.... go figure... Anyways the mag said if they smell cheesy dont use them. Never smelled cheesy hops myself though.

Ender

-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

I'd give them a sniff, and if they pass that test, give them a taste.
If those go well, I'd probably use them.

I would not use them for bittering but more for flavor addition. Why take the chance with the work put into brewing.

Blender said:
I would not use them for bittering but more for flavor addition. Why take the chance with the work put into brewing.

I'd probably do the opposite - let them bitter, but use a fresh hop for flavor/aroma.

But then again, only if they aren't beyond hope as the previous posters suggested testing for.

I've been using some 4 year old homegrown hops that were passed down to me. I know they're not good as fresh, but I've been impressed with the results using them.

Ender said:
Whole loses more than pellet. From what I hear and read from the last BYO, some people actually age hops.... go figure... Anyways the mag said if they smell cheesy dont use them. Never smelled cheesy hops myself though.

Aged hops are used for pLambics, you want the preservative qualities without much of the bitterness and no hop flavor/aroma. I think with age they go through a 'cheesy' stage and then mellow out. I have some ~1 year old hops that have a hint of cheese - and yes it does smell like cheese :cross:

cheesy like parmesean? that stuff has some odor.

I know hops also yellow as they oxidize, though that may be more from light induced than air induced oxidation.

Ok,

I went with old hops since they were all I had. They smelled ok so we'll see what happens...

Thanks everybody!

Hoppy

Latest posts

Back