Old Grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
How long do crushed grains last?

My friends and I purchased about 50 lbs of crushed pilsen malt quite a few months back for a brew day that never happened.

They have been sitting in double plastic bags inside of a coleman cooler for about 6 months.

Are they garbage? They are still dry and smell fine. Just wanted to know before wasting hops and time on grains that are too old.

I can tell you that they are more stale than if they had not been crushed. Personally, I wouldn't use them. I realize that the cost of 50 pounds of grain is hard to swallow.

Taste them. If they crunch well and taste good, they'll brew. I've brewed with old crushed grains of 6 months or more and they were fine. The key is moisture... If they've absorbed moisture and taste stale they're probably not worth the effort. But ift they've remained dry and taste good, you're good to go.

How long do crushed grains last?

My friends and I purchased about 50 lbs of crushed pilsen malt quite a few months back for a brew day that never happened.

They have been sitting in double plastic bags inside of a coleman cooler for about 6 months.

Are they garbage? They are still dry and smell fine. Just wanted to know before wasting hops and time on grains that are too old.
If you have a malt mill, its better to buy uncrushed and crush yourself right before you use it. I store my 55 lb bags just like you’re saying. Roll up the original bag, sometimes the original bag has plastic inside too. Then I put a large trash bag over that and roll that in the opposite direction. Place in Rubbermade tote and seal. I have used grain that was a year old.

On a side note, I recently made a smoked ale with very old smoked malt. Going back to about 2005. It was very well received and several people asked me for the recipe and what I did different. Just saying

As long as the grain was kept in an air tight container to keep out moisture, brew with it. Will it taste the same as fresh grain but it will be hardly noticeable if at all. Chew up a small amount of grain in your mouth and then you can be the judge.

Chew up a small amount of grain in your mouth and then you can be the judge.

Be sure to also chew a sample of unmilled (or freshly milled) grain as a comparison.

Back