old family recipe (cant get it right)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2kgummow

Reaction score
i have been handed down a old family recipe and started making it! the first batch was absolutely perfect, the third and second not so much!!! im trying to figure out what might be going wrong because it used to be made 50gallons at a time and i want it perfected before that happens!

50 gallons recipe this is off the top of my head i dont have it written down right in front of me
40gallons of cider fresh from orchard
50lb sugar
10lb of white rice (not ready rice the real stuff)
10lb of rasins
5 large cans of crushed pineapple

it fermented in an old jack D barrel no yeast is supposed to be added and nothing is used to kill any other yeasts it is racked several times from primary to secondary that is cleaned and sanitized till clear! several times i have had it it was exactly what it was supposed to be a high alcohol content dry with and oaky finish, the last few times i have made it it came out smelling like feet... i gave it time and did not rush it and followed all the steps you should in wine/cider making except it has never been pasteurized or stabilized before bottling!
any suggestions on how to perfect this receipt

idk if i should cold crash or add something to kill of bad yeast but leave some good natural yeast behind or what? or if maybe killing all the yeast first and adding fresh yeast would help?

Its the yeast. The old farm house or orchard was probably where they dumped the old batches and ended up with a free high quality wild yeast. Maybe try intro diving some brew yeast and dump the yeast in your back yard if it turns out good. Or the orchard if the. Owner doesn't care.

Back