old DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
My LHBS found a few old packages of DME that were forgotten in a cubboard or something and gave them to me.

They're of uncertain vintage (age measured in years, I'd guess) and have hardened into 'bricks'.

Are these usable? He wasn't sure, and suggested trying to disolve them in water.

DO NOT DISSOLVE IN WATER...

Leave it in the sealed bag and lightly hit it with a hammer starting at one corner and moving slowly across the bag...be careful not to break through the plastic.

The big chunks will break up into little chunks and the little chunks will end up as powder again...I've done this so I know it works. :D

So as long as it's still in the sealed package, it should still be fine for making beer?

Ok tank, next question, so I can eval your last response:

Is there anything you wouldn't use?

I ask because your answer sounds an awful lot like the one I give when asked if something is ok to eat...!

Ok tank, next question, so I can eval your last response:

Is there anything you wouldn't use?

I ask because your answer sounds an awful lot like the one I give when asked if something is ok to eat...!

LOL No, not really :)

My wife freaks out when I eat stuff thats been expired on the package for like 6 months. As long as it doesn't smell astringent or bad I don't have a problem eating it lol

Use it for starters or brew, it should be fine for either. Put it in a big ziplock before you hit it with a hammer just in case you bust that bag. It's sugar, sugar doesn't go bad unless it's wet and moldy...

DO NOT DISSOLVE IN WATER...

Leave it in the sealed bag and lightly hit it with a hammer starting at one corner and moving slowly across the bag...be careful not to break through the plastic.

The big chunks will break up into little chunks and the little chunks will end up as powder again...I've done this so I know it works. :D

Out of curiosity why not dissolve in water?

This is an interesting thread. I was just at a store in CT today and was asking about dme and he said it went bad... and quick. I didn't want to start a debate but it did get me wondering what he was talking about. I even clarified dme.

Back