Old corny surprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I inherited a few corny kegs from my dad a couple years ago and had done nothing with them until now. He actually also did nothing with them other then having them sit around covered in dust. I have three of them, 2 challenger vi's and a corny.

In general, the wealth of info on here and the internet at large has made the shopping list pretty simple to get these things fixed up but I was sort of sideswiped by something i found!

In one of the challengers, the liquid dip tube has been cut back by probably 4-5 inches, and there was some type of rubber hose installed on the bottom of it. I spoke with a rep from Ontario beer kegs to ask about replacement dip tubes and he figured that it would be a hard thing to find since shipping for them generally runs about 15-20 for a 5 dollar part. I haven't had much luck finding these dip tubes up here in Canada, on the internet at least.

My question is, what would you guys do in this situation?

1) bite the bullet, find a replacement tube and pay 3-4 times the cost to replace it

2) install some sort of hose extension to the bottom of the short tube

If the recommendation is #2, are of flavors going to be a concern?

For now, i will probably just start by using the other two kegs, but I have a feeling i will be looking at this issue to promote future expansion!

Thank for any insight!

Check keg connection. Not sure if they do flat rate to Canada though.

I would probably do the second option (I almost said, "Do #2" lol) while I waited to find the first option. I doubt that you would have a problem with off flavors if you use beverage hose since the beer sits in there on the way to the tap normally.

Back