Old Coca Cola Keg - Need post seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obba

Reaction score
Hi all,
Hope this is the right place to ask for help... :)
Please excuse me for not using the right terminology.

I have a few (now apparently very old), kegs and one, is leaking from the Outlet post.
They are 18lr and I was told they are the old coca cola 'syrup' kegs.
I've had them for about 8yrs. But have been told these these kegs are over 30yrs old.

I have noticed that the pressure in at least one of them is leaking. So I put 20psi (my carbonation pressure - was told that is right?). Then did the soapy water test and it is bubbling.

So off I went to the home brew store and they told me that most likely the seal has gone and then laughed at me that there is no hope to get a new seal or even another complete post!!

It just seems a real shame that I might have to throw away a perfectly good keg over a small rubber seal.

Is this post or finding a seal impossible...?

Now as you can see the top 'black' bit is actually a solid base with a small seal sat on top of it. So it does look like a big thick rubber seal, but it's not. The shop gave me a similar sized o-ring seal, but when I took it off, it is actually a form of instep seal, has slightly smaller inside diameter that fits - I guess - centralizes - the seal into the lower black solid bit.

So any guru's out there know where to get this stuff from. Or even the right names/description, so I can hunt around - Or do I just chuck the whole keg..?

Cheers,
Alan.

Attachments

• Keg Seal.jpg
    Keg Seal.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
That looks like a Pepsi ball lock, not a Coke pin lock. Check https://www.valuebrew.com/s/shop for O-rings and replacement poppets.
Hey fuzzybee,
many thanks for your reply. Those o rings in the link are the wrong type. The type of o ring on mine is a weird shape.
However, I used your link which gave me more 'terminology', and I think I have found a supplier here in Aus that might do the job.
What do you think?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2919422...79&osub=-1~1&crd=20220831105034&segname=11051

You're looking for the little o-ring on top of the poppet (the insert with the spring), yes?
Those "o-rings" are not replaceable, AFAIK.

But you can buy whole new (original) poppets. Some may have been pilfered from old, decommissioned kegs, but should be functional, YMMV. Watch out, there are about 5 or 7 different types/shapes, you would need to make sure to get the right one(s). Some keg dealers/outfits may sell them, at least in the U.S.

Are you using keg lube on those poppets? On all o-rings for that matter?
That should prevent most leaking issues, unless they're totally worn out, nicked, or otherwise damaged.

The link you provided is for universal poppets (with matching posts). The pyramidal spring is there "trademark." The (little) o-rings on those are a standard size, and replaceable.
You may have to clip a turn (or a tad more) off the bottom of the pyramidal spring if they are too tight, and won't open when you push a QD on them.
Make sure they don't ream you on shipping. ;)

BTW, it looks from your picture that the o-ring on top of the post (on the left) is flat and worn out. That needs to be replaced. Is that where your leak is, between the post and your QD? That would be an easy fix, get new post o-rings.

If the leak is on the post itself, without a QD attached, and beer or gas seeping out there, it's the poppet. Keg lube should fix most of those, unless the poppet o-ring is worn out or damaged.

Not sure where exactly you find it leaking.

If it's leaking on the outside of the post, a standard o-ring for a ball lock valve should fix the problem. If it's leaking under the post, it's likely an issue with the o-ring under the diptube.

If the issue is the poppet, there are not a lot of good options to replace the o-ring on the older poppets, but it might also be that the spring is worn out after thirty years of work. It could also be that the o-ring under the diptube is worn and needs to be replaced. That o-ring can cause a leak under the post (at least on my pin lock kegs) but if it's worn out it might create just the right amount of slack on an old poppet to leak. Probably easier to replace the poppet. @IslandLizard is right. You might find poppets recycled from old kegs but they may not fit. I've had that problem. Universal poppets are usually an easier replacement.

O-rings and universal poppets are not expensive. I would refresh all of the o-rings and try a universal poppet. I'd refresh the o-rings on both posts (and the lid seal if it's looking worn) so everything on the keg is new and likely to need replacement around the same time.

BTW, it looks from your picture that the o-ring on top of the post (on the left) is flat and worn out. That needs to be replaced.
I'm quoting myself, because I want to reiterate and emphasize that point.

@Obba That o-ring on top of the post looks worn, cracked and has flat areas. That could be the cause of your leaks.

fwiw, legit post O-rings for pin lock kegs are thicker than those for ball lock posts.
Most suppliers don't know this, hence few users know, either.

Using ball lock O-rings on pin lock posts leaves the latter susceptible to leaks should a QD get cocked out of plumb.
If you can't wiggle a pin lock gas QD without hearing gas leak you probably have the wrong O-rings...

Cheers!

https://www.chicompany.net/lock-kegs-parts-c-376_1_163/tank-plug-oring-lock-p-3286.html

Hi Guys and Gals,
Many thanks for all your replies.. :)

I have managed to locate some replacement posts. Well at least they have seen the photo's and I sent them a few more as they wanted to double check and they replied with 'No problems, ours will work fine".

So not got them yet, but they should be ok.
Yeah, Windblown, I have replaced that pipe seal :)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2919422...79&osub=-1~1&crd=20220901200432&segname=11051

Back