Old Bottle Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerkbucket

Reaction score
I am new to brewing (Hi!) and I got an old capper when I bought some used stuff. It's pretty cool, cast iron, etc. Anyhow, what is the internal dimension of the circular part that forces the cap down over the bottle supposed to be?

I measured mine with some digital calipers and it was about 1.138" or so, I just wonder if it is worn out or not.

I used it last night to bottle my first batch, and the bottles would sortof stick in the capper, and I had to rotate the the bottles to the side to get the caps out of the capper part, they sorta would get stuck in it. Is that typical? They didn't appear to leak when I tipped them upside at all.

If any one can measure theirs and let me know, that would be great, thanks!

I'm not sure where mine is right now so I can't measure it, but I can tell you that while using it my bottles to get stuck inside the bell of the capper. It is a newer model capper and like you I also have to sort of "pry" my bottle out by twisting it to the side.

My newer bench capper does this too. It seems to help if I rub a little bit of vegetable oil on the inside of the bell.

Latest posts

Back